How often do you treat your truck to a wash/wax?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett 76

Reaction score
Well after spending yet more cash on "products" that claim to fix scratches and or swirl marks ect ect, how often do you wash/wax/clean your truck? D22 or D40................. we all know whats really worth the effort!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha!

I was just thinking, i may be strange, i wash and wax/detail my truck once a fortnight. I am not talking about a quick fix here or there, I spent in excess of $150 on meguiars gear today and spent from 1pm - 5.30pm / 12 beers really detailing my car. It did turn out right, But is this normal? Do you all take the same care?

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

For those of you that read my headlight restoration topic, i did not have to re apply the protective coating, so the head lights still look new.

Let me know if i am normal or not?

Brett

I give the ute a good detailing once every couple months which includes a double coat of collinite insulator wax. After beach work it gets a decent clean with wash n wax also.

On a side note is your sports bar powdercoated or painted black? I'm looking to get the same done to mine.

I washed mine yesterday with a sponge and some free wash goop the missus got when she used to work for Shell. First wash of the year, and most likely the last.

I washed mine yesterday with a sponge and some free wash goop the missus got when she used to work for Shell. First wash of the year, and most likely the last.

OUCH! that has to do wonders for the paintwork? I think i am a bit over the top, but washing/waxing gets me out of the house each w/e so im happy.

Brett

If shiny is what you want it's all good but for a vehicle that gets dirty most days and spends so much time on farm tracks or dirt roads it's just not worth it. Also with so little proof that any of that paint protection stuff actually works it's always easier to find a job that needs doing more than washing away mud.

FWIW my utes been washed about 4 times in 2 years and even with so little washing the paint job after yesterdays wash looks as good as new, no external scratches (a few in the tub), no blemishes and bad spots.

ah good shit, i did have a few blemishes and scratches but most of them are out now, she came up 150% better after spending a little time on her. Ready for the next track anyway!

Brett

Being Black I was mine every week. With the new paint on it now I will be applying paint protection asper the painters direction. I figure if anyone knows he would. It should mean washing is easier and no wax or polish for the year .

I have owned my D40 for about a year now and have properly washed it twice.
That said I do wash off the mud etc. with a hose after 4wd'ing.

Gets coated in dust on a daily basis so I don't tend to wash it that often.

Murph

Mine gets washed every ten thousand km's at the Nissan service depot! Like Krafty, mine just gets dirty again.

Cheers Brad

I washed mine today, first time in 8 months. I would wash it more often but there is calcium in the water where we live which I have been told ruins the paintwork over time. When I get to Perth in October I am going to pay someone to wax/polish it for me as I'm too lazy to do it myself. Also, the less I wash the Nav, the more the dust and dirty covers up the stratches as it is covered in them. Still looks good when clean and from 10 feet away.

I wash when it is muddy before putting it back in the shed but then the Nav only comes out on the weekends at this stage.

Dust I just live with because living on a dirt road, I would have to wash it almost everytime it is driven & I just wouldn't bother driving it.

If I had nothing to do & lived on a bitumen road, I would wash & wax too but with so many things to do & so many projects started & not finished, I just don't have the time.

It's all a matter of priorities & they change over time.

The other cars at home are putrid. :sarcastic:

rarely. I hose it some mornings before work, mostly just to see out the windows, and gerni it as i see fit, but use soap very rarely.

If the ute has thick mud underneath it from 4 wheel driving then I gerni it to remove most of the mud (reduces rust problems down the track), other than that it gets driven through one of those automatic cash washes about once a month.

More often than not it's pretty dusty because I live in the country.

Washed my nav 2 weeks ago at work, Then drove 5km home and looked at what was a nicely washed ute 5 min earlier and thought that was a waste of good drinking time. Bloody thing was as dirty as before the wash. I blame the Hepburn shire DONT VISIT the area the roads are sh#t.

I would wash it more often but there is calcium in the water where we live which I have been told ruins the paintwork over time.

No idea if that's true but it's in our water system too so from now on if people ask why I don't wash the ute that's the excuse I'm going to give.

Over the time I've found the only thing that really effects the paintwork is cowshit and it has to be fresh shit spun up and left to dry, stuff that's been dampened by dew and rain isn't ever as bad.

I would wash it more often but there is calcium in the water where we live which I have been told ruins the paintwork over time.

Yeh we have a lot of calcium in our water also, and if you dont shammy the car right after a wash it gets dried calcium stains on the paintwork that NEVER came out until yesterday. Meguiars swirl x worked a bloody treat before i waxed the car.

Brett

cowshit and it has to be fresh shit spun up .

I think my boss thinks he hasnt worked unless he got the ute covered in fresh shit each day, And the seats and floor and door trims. Gave the work pootrol a cut and polish, Yep a big handfull of scrubber handwash and rubbed it in till i could see the white paint

Our Prado is the same, the daily driver gets out of the thing in his work trousers and shiny black shoes walks through mud and cow shit as he checks the cows then gets back in without wiping his feet and heads off to work, what the people he deals with at work must think is beyond me but he does this twice a day most days.

No idea if that's true but it's in our water system too so from now on if people ask why I don't wash the ute that's the excuse I'm going to give.

Glad I could help. Need any more excuses for anything, let me know and I will see what I can come up with.

Latest posts

Back