How to dust seal D40 tailgate

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking at using bug seals for fly screen doors. they are an aluminium strip with a rubber strip attached. haven't worked how I'm going to do it yet, probably rivot where others have put their aluminium strips. however it is another option, just thought I would throw it out there. happy days

Have just purchased a new D40 STX and fitted a Carryboy canopy. As well as the tailgate area, the tub has large holes in the top corners at the front of the tub that need filling with sikaflex or similar, as well as some other various holes and poorly sealed joints. To seal the tail gate sides we used 6mm x 50mm insertion rubber stuck to the side (similar to what Paul did with the flat aluminum) and a length of 6mm x 15mm affixed across the bottom of the tub. Seems to work ok, but it will get a real test in May/June when we go via the dirt from Broken Hill to Cape York and return in May/June. The pressure vent/open front window works reasonalby well on our caravan but whe surrounded in bull dust or dust from passing vehilces some dust does get sucked/forced inside the van so I'd think it'd be the same with the canopy. When travelling busy dusty roads we leave the vans pressure hatch closed.

cya
Graham

Interesting info on the Carryboy Graham. I'm getting a canopy shortly and Carryboy was on the short list. They do look the part. Do you think it's a floor in the canopy itself or the fitting?

As for the sealing of the tail gate I used some of that black rubbery foam Aircond pipe insulation covering up the side by just cutting a slit down one side and fitting it over the fin down the sides with a bead of silicone to fix in place. For the bottom of the tail gate used some sticky back high density rubber foam strip. Not the most ascetically looking fix but works very well and cheap.

If you dig around there is a thread or two on here for sealing up the tail gate.

Latest posts

Back