How to remove needle bearing in stub axle for cv shaft

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicszd30

Reaction score
Howdy all, Just wondering if anyone has serviced the needle roller bearing that sits in the stub axle that the end of the cv shaft runs on? cheers viic

Attachments

• 20150816_130849.jpg
    20150816_130849.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 86
by the looks of that its in a recess. so won't be able to drift it out. would have to hook it and pull out or break the cage and peel it out.
i would just wash it out, check that its smooth. if it is then repack it with grease. if its not smooth then its stuffed and you will have to tear it out and replace it.

Yeay done!
Yup Tweak'e that's exactly what I did!
Left the seal in place and carefully cleaned that and the under side with a little amount of petrol on a rag/paper towel then with a 6" extension on a can of brake cleaner washed/blew all the old poo out. Spotless..
I then measured out the amount of grease then with my finder rolled and worked that amount of grease into each bearing.. UMMM I cant believe that's all the cv's ride on- I'm glad I did the work. Depending on how hard and long I use the front diff will determine the service intervals on this wittle bearing... I will post pic's tomorrow for y'all ;) you wont believe how much grease or little this Needle Bearing takes.
P.S All...I am now officially a pirate - I purchased a copy of the manual on C.D off evil bay ... I"ll keep you posted if I get A/ arrested B/ ripped off C/catch a virus ...

I will have to try and do a write up on what I have found as I have worked my way through dropping diffs making solid mounts, booting servicing C.V's etc when I get time this week.
I did notice that all the greases where "original" and the C.V had a different grease either end of the shaft and the grease that was used in the Needle Bearing was also a different grease. Going that my 03zd is 250'000k's and this is the first time those shafts have been out "it's no wonder the shafts had burnt grease marks on them.. I kid you not- that bearing would have been lucky to have taken 2 maybe 3 tea spoons lol sorry "tea spoon" ahhrrrhaha that's the closest you get to a measurement from me tonight... It's been a huge week "for me" working on the zd ... zit willz bez very intrestinggg to see where the C.V angles sit tomorrow when "she" goes back together ..weeeeeeee

Thanks again cheers vic

Latest posts

Back