howdy diff locks what info can u give me .

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
hey guys diff locks front or rear ?

where from ?
brand?
how much installed?
what do u have ?

i no nothing about them but i no what they do ... my lsd is no longer working .

also my car keeps cutting out when i go up hills in 4wd i have to rev it up hard to get moving i was thinking lack of diesel but i wasn't empty? any info? cheers

I can give you free access to the search button where you will find heaps of information on diff lockers and what can be done on a D40.

D40 lsd pretty good unless your going up 80 degrees slopes or xtreme flexing. would be good to get front lokkas but our front cvs are shit and will snap...ARB trialled and came back not strong enuf.
anyway ARB quoted me $2500 rear lokka compressor and labour

I can give you free access to the search button where you will find heaps of information on diff lockers and what can be done on a D40.

i have searched for info but i don't really no what they are talking about there is a differences on someone knows what there about and someone who dose no nothing about how the stuff works im young and here to learn stuff from u guys thanks for the help there mate ..

D40 lsd pretty good unless your going up 80 degrees slopes or xtreme flexing. would be good to get front lokkas but our front cvs are shit and will snap...ARB trialled and came back not strong enuf.
anyway ARB quoted me $2500 rear lokka compressor and labour

does lsd wear out ?? and is it standard on the d40 ?? lsd is where both wheels spin together ? coz only one wheel spins at the back of my d40 ? cheers

You're welcome for the help it's not often you get things for nothing but you got the bargain deal.

hey guys diff locks front or rear ?

where from ?
brand?
how much installed?
what do u have ?

i no nothing about them but i no what they do ... my lsd is no longer working .

also my car keeps cutting out when i go up hills in 4wd i have to rev it up hard to get moving i was thinking lack of diesel but i wasn't empty? any info? cheers

First there are three types of lockers available for the D40 now, 1) ARB air lockers for front and rear- cost- around $4500 for both and compressor fitted.
2) Eaton make an E-LOCKER which places like Opposite Lock sell they are available fro front, (not sure about rear) and are around $1500 not fitted< BUT theses are electric and dont need a compressor and they come as a complete diff centre.
3)4wd systems make an Auto Lokka for the front which are now available for $600 i think BUT they were selling them to the first customers for $500 delivered, as the name suggests they are automatic locking/unlocking.
I was on there list but the LOKKA didnt come when promised so i got my money back.

I think i will now get the EATON E-LOCKER.

Can i also add i do think that there maybe something up with your Nav if you have to do what you say in the caption below
"also my car keeps cutting out when i go up hills in 4wd i have to rev it up hard to get moving i was thinking lack of diesel but i wasn't empty"
You just should not have to "REV IT UP HARD" when you are LOW range, first gear LOW range is a ripper gear and is so low you should be able to let your foot off the clutch with little or no throttle and it will idle away, on hills you would only need a little throttle and once the clutch is out it should have bundles of torque.
I think you need to get it checked out, it just doesnt sound like its going as it should.

thanks for the info mate cheers much appreciated yeah i think ill go back to nissan but not looking forward to it cheers

also so why the elocka over the air locka do u think the elocka works better also im not sure where u live but im i vic so where would i get my hands on one i prob neem someone to fitt it too

Your garage doesn't mention much so i have to ask.

Is it a manual? Have you had your clutch looked at? I ask as i have recently been in the sand dunes with a guy who had your described symptoms. He had his clutch fixed/replaced and now his car goes great guns.

also so why the elocka over the air locka do u think the elocka works better also im not sure where u live but im i vic so where would i get my hands on one i prob neem someone to fitt it too

Not sure who sells them in vic or who you would get to fit it, so i would just google "EATON" and talk to them.
They will be able let you know where there is a dealer close to your location, and more then likely who will fit it.

I think i will go for the E-LOCKER because it comes as a complete unit, and i can install it myself + you dont need the compressor, which can fail or you can get a leaky air line ect. The ARB air locker is a great unit i just think i like the idea of the E-locker more..... having said all that i could end up with an air locker hahaha

yeah its manual sorry about that i need to update it soon . iv only taking it off road twice so far but i have only had the car couple months no dunes just rocky dusty tracks little bit of mud no i haven't had the clutch looked at yet but i will be taking it to nissan and telling them to work out whats going on..
i do like my d40 although now maybe i should of got something bit more for off road but its too late now yeah just when i was going up a hill she stalled on i don't no why but it has done it a few times ... small climes and also even one i got stuck on the road where it die at lights when i went to take off them i started it then it stalled i started again it must of stalled about 5 times them i give it some revs and it pulled away and it was fine for awhile.
so i don't no what it is but i am a little worried about it as it can be unsafe 4wdin

Not sure who sells them in vic or who you would get to fit it, so i would just google "EATON" and talk to them.
They will be able let you know where there is a dealer close to your location, and more then likely who will fit it.

I think i will go for the E-LOCKER because it comes as a complete unit, and i can install it myself + you dont need the compressor, which can fail or you can get a leaky air line ect. The ARB air locker is a great unit i just think i like the idea of the E-locker more..... having said all that i could end up with an air locker hahaha

lol yeah i would like a arb air locker but the money it costs geez ... so much is it really worth it. i was thinking of getting the rear locker but not sure if there is much point one without the other ?

Is it true that the air lockers tend to pressurize the diff housing when the piston seal splits pushing oil out the breather?

lol yeah i would like a arb air locker but the money it costs geez ... so much is it really worth it. i was thinking of getting the rear locker but not sure if there is much point one without the other ?

i have seen and been in cars where we have only activated one locker and that was more then enough to get us going again, and have been in one with a front locker only on a scary hill that prior to the front locker being fitted it could not get up, then with the locker it went up easy.. the difference was huge, i could not believe it.
so yes both lockers would be the best but one does make a huge difference, and personally i think the front alone does more then the rear alone.

Is it true that the air lockers tend to pressurize the diff housing when the piston seal splits pushing oil out the breather?

I have herd that before, BUT i dont think that can happen because the diff housing isnt 100% full of oil, it has air at the top where the breather is located, so the air from the leaking seal should be able to surface then go out the breather without pushing oil with it.
Thats my theory anyway, BUT i am sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

Harrop are the Australian distributor for Eaton..you can buy direct from them.
I have an Eaton Tru Trac diff in another car which I bought directly from them...Complete centre as someone mentioned.

TrailerLEDS069.jpg

like mentioned ^

if the breather isnt blocked, the housing cant pressurize.

I'm looking at an auto lock type for the frt personally.

Harrop are the Australian distributor for Eaton..you can buy direct from them.
I have an Eaton Tru Trac diff in another car which I bought directly from them...Complete centre as someone mentioned.

TrailerLEDS069.jpg

Dose it work alright? How much did u get it for ? Did u install ? Cheers

i have seen and been in cars where we have only activated one locker and that was more then enough to get us going again, and have been in one with a front locker only on a scary hill that prior to the front locker being fitted it could not get up, then with the locker it went up easy.. the difference was huge, i could not believe it.
so yes both lockers would be the best but one does make a huge difference, and personally i think the front alone does more then the rear
Thats my theory anyway, BUT i am sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

thanks for all the info mate really has help me . So u said frount locker u think is best if the d40 is weak at the front should I get the e-locker or dose not matter ? or would it just be safer me getting a rear locker for now .

It's not cheap when it comes to locking diffs so I'm trying to make the most of what I have and what info I can get I'll take cheers

i was speaking to a guy from drive lines and he was saying front lock with be better as it will reduce the need to put a full boot into it. In saying that, he says that it all comes down to operator, if your rough it'll break if you use it to purpose it will do its job quiet well.

Latest posts

Back