i want more power !

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael92

Reaction score
im looking to add a bit more power to my 05 d22 navara
and i dont really know where to start
ive been told a top mount intercooler and chip and snorkel
what are the other options ?
its a 3.0l

An intercooler will give you a marginal gain. Front mounts are more effective, because they don't suffer from heat-soak from the engine beneath them and the radiator fan assists drawing air through.

The snorkel won't give you a lot of gain either, but it will protect your engine from ingesting water splashed up by the tyres (has been a user here that hit a 300mm-deep puddle and took in water.

You'll get your biggest gain from the chip. There's an excellent thread here on the different chips that are available and I strongly urge you to read it before you decide which way to jump.

You might also consider doing several:

* Chip the engine, which will increase the fuel flow to the engine but will increase EGT
* Block the EGR to let the combustion happen unhindered (equals a bit more power)
* Intercool it to cool the intake air (makes it denser and more powerful) plus lower EGT

Fitting a larger exhaust isn't always as successful as you'd hope for the $ spent but that is another option. I think you'll find that with a good chip and an intercooler you'll have a decent amount of power.

The intercooler will also help catch broken bits of turbocharger. I would suggest that you add a turbo timer to the mix, just so you don't shut the engine down too early after a hot run which ultimately destroys the turbo's bearings.

An intercooler will give you a marginal gain. Front mounts are more effective, because they don't suffer from heat-soak from the engine beneath them and the radiator fan assists drawing air through.

**ive been searching and have only really found top mounted intercoolers
any ideas on where to go for front mounted ?

You might also consider doing several:

* Chip the engine, which will increase the fuel flow to the engine but will increase EGT
* Block the EGR to let the combustion happen unhindered (equals a bit more power)
* Intercool it to cool the intake air (makes it denser and more powerful) plus lower EGT

**** so the EGT level will be the same but the car will have a lot more grunt ?

thanks for all this info mate im pretty new to all this

No drama. I did a Google search and the third site was this one. It's a bit expensive, I think Dave might have scored one cheaper - wait for a few others to come along and see if they know where to get one.

As soon as you add fuel/boost or remove the EGR your EGT goes up. It's unavoidable with more combustion happening. By adding an intercooler, you do provide more air for better combustion but the air is cooler (by a significant margin) so the resulting temperature will be a little lower than it would be without the intercooler.

Don't forget that the intercooler will catch broken turbo bits too. It's good insurance just for that, because if parts of the turbo get inside your motor, it could break valves, pistons, conrods and damage the head.

northside does a very nice intercooler kit for a lot less then that. PM him for a current price and more info. Theres also pics of it and info on here, do a search.

I asume from the pic in yr avatar you have alloy bar and no winch?
Therefore, insted of paying $2500 for something that would've cost the manufacturer a small fraction of that to produce,

Xr6 turbo intercooler: $50 (off me)
Silicone hose and aluminium pipe: $200 ebay or anywhere

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 88
^^Hard to tell from photo but looks like it mounts over the central support in front of radiator, bringing the i/c too close to the winch if you have one. I cant get over the prices of some of these kits, you could do exactly the same thing as shown in that website for 1/3 the price using universal stuff and DIY-ing and probably with a bigger cooler too.
[edit] if your going to pay that much the ASE kit looks good.

Last edited:
u said it would cost 1/3 of the price if i did DIY
its probably a stupid question but how would i do that ....
i thought these things were made to fit certain cars ...

There's a couple of threads on here with pics to see how others have done it. I think one is called simply 'intercooler' under d22 engine in the search engine, another one is something like 'xr6 intercooler mod' i posted in a few minutes ago so should still be in the recent post list. Its a matter of measuring up what will fit, deciding on how you will route the piping, and working out what pipes and bends to order.
You can get a 300x280mm (same size as the one on the site you posted)core i/c off ebay for $160 but the winch wont fit anyway so you can go bigger than that. Plumbing might cost you $200.

The post Rabbit-chop is referring to is here. It's actually stickied. You get very similar performance gains for much less $. I'd forgotten about the XR6 intercooler thread - it's a bloody good idea!

Just buy an intercooler of ebay $200 or less lol they do the job all they are is a heat exchange. I was getting 450rwhp using a cheap ebay cooler and have mates that are getting the same and more on them. not in a navara but obviously :D

just searched up a few looks like the better option save a heap but is ther a thread with a step by step process on how to install it :)

Latest posts

Back