I want my d40 to sound like a real diesel!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought mine sounded like a real diesel and it doesn't sound much different to many of the other Navaras out there. Do you want it to sound like a larger truck, or are you referring to the engine braking sound? You can fit an exhaust brake or even a jake brake, but it does take a bit of work to do.

I just want it to sound like a Grunty beast. It is soo quiet.
The exhaust dude said there is something in them thats illeagal to take off but will make it sound really good.

Dezz

nope you wont do a thing to the motor, its purely a pollution thing, so if you take it off it is illegal and you can cope a fine...........

Last edited:
actually most of the shops doing 3" systems do an "OFF ROAD VERSION" which comes as a totally straight through system.

Yeah ya not wrong there, there will be no arguing that from me, they are mostly a bunch of kids that have little mechanical knowledge.

I will be putting a straight through system on my D40

RSPCA concerns aside, the worry about drilling into the CAT is the release of exhaust fumes up near where the cabin could draw those fumes in. If you're contemplating removing the innards of the cat to make the unit flow better, that will produce slightly more sound but I think you'll get a LOT more sound if you remove the muffler and terminate the exhaust just behind the cabin.

I'm not sure that would help in an off-road situation - I don't know if that will cause problems with water/mud.

Should of bought a patrol with TD42 if you want it to sound like a truck, you have to remember its only a 2.5...

really Loud? take the turbo out. thier the best muffler around. just might be abit slow. hahahaha

Slow as my dads old Datsun 720 with the 2.5 diesel, swear we used to get overtaken by pretty much everything else on the roads.

i had the cat removed all all my old turbo cars i used to own, got pulled over constantly, i was part of a large community and most of them had the cats removed in the name of performance, not once have i ever seen a copper get down on his guts and look for a cat that's been removed!
on some of the larger cruises they'd make a blockade and go over every single car, sometimes up to a hundred cars, not once did they look for it.

Back