I was made redundant

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doog

Reaction score
the CEO of the company i worked for flew up from Melbourne for a special meeting on Wednesday. I worked in the Training Industry for a national RTO.
after 3 hours of doom and gloom about the future of our industry, he asked to see us one at a time. out of 7 in the QLD office 3 of us were made redundant effective Immediately . pack you things and leave. the company shed 20 positions nation wide out of 100 employees.
have been a bit depressed the last couple of days mainly because it was an awesome job and i dont think i will find another as good.

good thing is with leave and my package we are covered for a few months and i might be able to pick up a bit of casual work over christmas to help stretch it.

before Wed i was undecided on who to vote for, but my job loss was directly caused by the Rudd Gov cutting employer Funding. so that help me make my mind up.

the other annoying thing is if i dont find a resonable paying job soon it will push my mods back and put my Cape trip next September in jeopardy

sorry for the vent it has taken me till now to talk about it, i have been in shock till now.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your job loss. I am unfortunately on the other side of your Rudd and Abbott debate. I am now unsure if I will have a job under Abbott's job cuts throughout government sectors. I hope you find a job soon as times may get harder for some industrys.

Goodluck
Rusty

Hey Doog,
Sorry about your redundancy.
My partner was offered a voluntary redunancy in July from workcover qld (pack of shunts!). I say voluntary but if the employees were not willing to take it then their wages were going to decrease and all their pay grades accumulated would be dropped because they have decided to change their job title to a lesser pay grade.
Anyways, i have been studying my builders course at Capital training and they have only started in qld this year. They offer all types of training for construction and it may be worth a shot to getin touch with them. They are starting to offer courses on gold and sunshine coast as well.
Hope this helps and good call on you voting!
Cheers
Yotzaa

Thanks for that might give Capital a call in the morning.
my missus is going through a simular with Aussie post. she has to reapply for a postion she has owned for 6 years. and there are 5 other people who's positions have been cut also appling for it.

sign of the times.
scarey

It will only get worse with "trust me Abbot". We got lumbered with Barnaby Joice in our electorate. I just hope he doesn't get to be leader of the nationals. Might have to change their name back to the CoUNTry party or similar.

Hey Doog,
Sorry about your redundancy.
My partner was offered a voluntary redunancy in July from workcover qld (pack of shunts!). I say voluntary but if the employees were not willing to take it then their wages were going to decrease and all their pay grades accumulated would be dropped because they have decided to change their job title to a lesser pay grade.
Anyways, i have been studying my builders course at Capital training and they have only started in qld this year. They offer all types of training for construction and it may be worth a shot to getin touch with them. They are starting to offer courses on gold and sunshine coast as well.
Hope this helps and good call on you voting!
Cheers
Yotzaa

Mate, I left WorkCover in 2007 when they combined jobs back then, can't even think what they are up too now!

Mate, I left WorkCover in 2007 when they combined jobs back then, can't even think what they are up too now!

Hey mate,
They had an "INDEPENDENT" assessment by hayes recruiting and then decided out of 70+ employees, that they are paying staff too much and then re classified their roles to be purely data entry and then froze wages for 4years and only hold off dropping pay till end of this year.

Guess who is now providing workcover qld with temp staff for data entry?? Hayes ****en recruting.

:pissedoff:Just pisses me off that no surplus middle management are show the door but they are happy to **** off all the real workers to save a quick buck.

Sorry to hijack your thread

:pissedoff:Just pisses me off that no surplus middle management are show the door but they are happy to **** off all the real workers to save a quick buck.

Sorry to hijack your thread

no problem,

my company got ernst and young in and they told them where to cut staff
and gues what all the people who went were from training and sales.

no managers went just workers

its crap!!

I got in the shit with senior management one year when they were telling us how bad things were and that staff would be let go. My crime was to ask why senior managemwnt weren't being sacked - their incompetance got us in such a bad position after all!

Sorry for your loss doog. That's a bugger. What I find little strange is a national company with 100 workers has to rely on Government Employer funding. Soon as that is withdrawn the CEO (flashy title for 100 workers) has to jet in and do some sacking.

The new government will be no panacea for the private sector. They could be a good thing, only time will tell but their trickle down effect ideology never works. Always stoke the fire from the bottom. If you get the education and training right, the rest, over time will fall into place.

As for the public sector I would expect it would be something akin to the Newman style but on a national level. Contrary to popular belief, these days public servants actually have to be productive- ie. deliver services. The P/S is not what it use to be so any further cuts will impact on us all.

After last weekend I would have a punt and say it will be softly softly at first as it wasn't the crushing victory they may of been hoping for. Watch out for the Audit commission. As Abbott quite openly stated where everything will be on the table. After that is when the large scale changes will happen along with I/R. Probably along with and early double dissolution election to get them thru.

Anyway my rant over and hope you find good job.

I was made redundant last year...but working again now.

The way it happened for me was a bit underhanded and apparently illegal. They toecutter flew in at 230 monday and gave me a letter saying...blah blah blah..you are being made redundant. No forewaring...no discussion about other positions...just pack up and nick off.

that was the illegal part...no prior discussion. I was told that they must give at least two week prior notice of the event of dismissals. I took them to court and won an increase in package. While I cant say what it was....it was worth the effort of talking with the fair work comjission!!

The manufacturing industry in Australia is dying at a crazy rate. Business is getting to greedy these days. Unless they are making billions a year then it's not viable to produce here. What ever happened to just making a profit. Government and free trade agreements don't help either.

Last edited:
before Wed i was undecided on who to vote for, but my job loss was directly caused by the Rudd Gov cutting employer Funding. so that help me make my mind up.

sorry for the vent it has taken me till now to talk about it, i have been in shock till now.

Sorry to hear mate. I know how you feel, I was made redundant in January from a coal mine in NSW along with a shit load of other blokes. I'm a plant mechanic by trade and have worked in the industry most of my life. The mining industry is really struggling and I'm finding it hard to find work out side of the industry cause it's all I know unlike other guys that just came in during the boom.
I voted for labour all my life, but I will never again for the rest of my life. If I wasn't so far ahead in my loan payment I'd be truly Fraked! but that will run out at the end of October.

Hope all goes well for you mate.

Last edited:
doog,
As someone who has been let go too (June 2012), after being told I would be ok as I was considered highly valuable to the region... the Managers just follow orders.
Focus on any positives that you have or can find.
Have an honest talk with your Dr and if needed talk it out with a councilor. No shame in talking to an expert.

All the very best for your interview :)

Hey Guys I got the Job !!
thanks for all your best wishes and advice.

had a phone interview on Wednesday arvo with a recruitment agency
went for an interview with the state manager of an RTO on Thursday morning.
got a phone call when i got home telling me they were checking my references.
had to go back in thurs arvo for induction
trained a group of child care worker in OHS on friday

it's full time and i will be mainly training warehousing and logistics

i was unemployed for 7 days :)
i had not even recieved my redundancy payout yet.

so now i have a job paying more mony than the old one, and a little bonus in the bank account.

all worked out well in the end

cheers

Latest posts

Back