I'm baaaaaaaaack! Looking at v6 diff centres...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
Hey everybody, been a long time sin'ce i've been around this place, circumstance's have kind of prevented me from doing any work on my truck and just being busy, etc, but now I've got a bit more time (and money) up my sleeve, it's time to continue building my touring machine.

My latest avenue of thought is that my truck needs new shoes, and i'm seriously considering moving up to a set of 33's, however, i really want the best out of my truck, so if i did move up that extra step, i would also seriously look at putting some V6 diff centres in (to bring my power levels back to stock).

how large of a task is this? Who out there has given it a go?

also, how hard is it to recondition the LSD/gearbox/t-case? I'm pretty sure that i've got a fair bit of play and back lash in my drive train that i would like to get fixed up as well.

thanks y'al!

Backlash would most likely be the rear diff. I'm not sure on just changing diff centers or of entire diff needs to be changed. You would be able to opt for an air locker then too.
I'm fitting 33's to my standard diff in the next couple weeks and will just be lookin into a LOKKA and taking it a little easier. Any thoughts on what tyres you will be going? I'm looking at BFG Km2's great review on wear too

I just got my rear diff serviced.... I was sick and tired of hearing the rear diff groaning when cold & turning in the morning.... even after replacing the oil it eventually came back.
Anyhow they removed the centre, clenaed it & tighten it up to what they reckon is the limit and re-installed it and used Penrite LSD + the Penrite additive and she's now quiet as a mouse.... cost a bit and from what I could work out it was mainly labour..... $385 :shocked:

Hey everybody, been a long time sin'ce i've been around this place, circumstance's have kind of prevented me from doing any work on my truck and just being busy, etc, but now I've got a bit more time (and money) up my sleeve, it's time to continue building my touring machine.

My latest avenue of thought is that my truck needs new shoes, and i'm seriously considering moving up to a set of 33's, however, i really want the best out of my truck, so if i did move up that extra step, i would also seriously look at putting some V6 diff centres in (to bring my power levels back to stock).

how large of a task is this? Who out there has given it a go?

also, how hard is it to recondition the LSD/gearbox/t-case? I'm pretty sure that i've got a fair bit of play and back lash in my drive train that i would like to get fixed up as well.

thanks y'al!

Good result then Rob, I reckon for the peace of mind and knowing its been fixed I would happily pay $385.00 to get it done. Some jobs I like leaving to the experts.

Good result then Rob, I reckon for the peace of mind and knowing its been fixed I would happily pay $385.00 to get it done. Some jobs I like leaving to the experts.

Couldn't agree more ray. This is a job I'll definitely get a proper diff and gearbox place to do. Finding time and a place that won't cost an arm or a leg up here in Gladstone is the hardest bit.

i would also seriously look at putting some V6 diff centres in (to bring my power levels back to stock).
I have a 2003 V6 (VG33) rolling chassis if anyone is interested. $300. Need it out of the shed ASAP.
Also have heaps of D21 stuff too.

DSCN0996.jpg

*bump*

is there a way of just changing the diff ratio without having to change out the diff centre? (ie, just change the pinion/crownwheel)

i really want the extra power with the 33's and also want to keep the lokka in the front.

This might help you or it might not.

R108 diffs are also used in some Subaru and other nissan sports cars such as 240z

Not sure about the rear c200 diff maybe R200 centers would fit? As far as i can tell the C200 is the solid axel version of the R200 diff (could be wrong here)

So you might be able to find pinion/crownwheel set of the same ratio for both diffs.
But then again maybe not, someone may no more about there nissan diffs than me

Mq patrols ran the c200 up front and possibly rear? Not sure what ratios they are available in tho.

Not sure if this is off topic a bit..... but I would also love to find a way of getting a "lower" 1st gear that would enable me to take off better when towing a heavy load instead of having to drop it into Low Range just to be able to take off....

What are the gear ratios like in the earlier Navaras (ie: D21's or even the 3.2ltr Diesel donk)... If the boxes are similar but have a lower 1st gear, this may solve your (& mine) problem as well....

Does anyone know if the earlier Navara 5spd Gearboxes fit into the 3ltr ZD30 version narava's ???

rob

This might help you or it might not.

R108 diffs are also used in some Subaru and other nissan sports cars such as 240z

4.44 or 4.11 are the lowest ratios in the subaru (rear) diffs, but i dont think you could use the crown wheel and pinion as the pinion sharft will be longer.

also most comonly they are r160 diffs, the r180 im sure came out in the later WRX's and stuff.

bryan

Alright. I've managed to source a front R180 diff with the 4.625 ratio I'm looking for from a QD32 powered navara.

And I can get a crown and pinion set of 4.625's for the C200 in the back from the US for around $600 delivered.

Also tempted to change the rear axle to the QD32's H233B, just to save pulling apart the rear diff to change the crown and pinion. But I'll suss it out when I visit the wreckers this arvo.

Hey mate. I'm still waiting on the crown and pinion to arrive from the states, and I've got an R180 with a 4.625 ratio sitting in the garage ready for the swap out. I've got a whole bunch of stuff to do like the clutch, wheel bearings, steerings linkages, some backlash in the driveline and a gearbox checkup to do. I'm short on time and space up here so I'm going to take it to a driveline shop place in brissy and let them have it for a few weeks to get it all sorted.

I'll keep ya updated.

Latest posts

Back