Instrument Cluster Swap

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have been thinking bout swapping out my D40 instrument cluster for a unit from an R51 with modded leds etc. Would the odometer reading be in the cluster or the main ECU?
In short would my correct mileage reading be transferred to the new cluster

So if you want to rebirth a Nav all you have to do is replace the instrument cluster and you immediately go back to zero on the odometer?

Yeah if it was that easy then in theory I could drop out my D40 cluster install the R51 and then when I want to sell just swap it back and loose a bucket of kms.
Only reason I ask is that every unit I see for sale states the kms .

another thing is would there be any difference between a Man/Auto ,Petrol/Diesel dash.
I would think not but until someone actually does it who knows lol

I realise it wouldn't be that easy to actually rebirth but if changing the cluster zeros the odo or even takes the odo to whatever was on the odo when the cluster was removed from the donor car then it sets up an easy method of offloading cars with less ks than actually traveled. Sure it wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny of a REVs check etc but for so many people it wouldn't have to.

I needed a new plastic cover as got crap on mine and wrecked it. Nissan wanted $795 plus then would charge $250 to make the miles the same + fitting - bloody theives !

Bough a whole new cluster for $250 from a wrecker in melb and swapped it over in like 20 min.

Yes it is as easy as swapping a lower mileage cluster over to get lower K's. I found though all the clusters at wreckers were very high lieage cars though.

Man & Auto are different. Dont know about R51.

It's obvious that Nissan can adjust the km shown. Other manufacturers are probably the same.

Makes you wonder how many "low km" cars are actually low km. The problem with the wrong km shown is that you do the wrong servicing, which could be detrimental to the engine.

Yes, I know some people don't even service their vehicles and they still run - but that's a risk, and not one that we'd all be willing to take - especially if you're going to remote places and expect to depend on the vehicle.

Old.Tony said:
It's obvious that Nissan can adjust the km shown. Other manufacturers are probably the same.

Makes you wonder how many "low km" cars are actually low km. The problem with the wrong km shown is that you do the wrong servicing, which could be detrimental to the engine.

Yes, I know some people don't even service their vehicles and they still run - but that's a risk, and not one that we'd all be willing to take - especially if you're going to remote places and expect to depend on the vehicle.

Tony dealers don't have the ability to adjust km's shown.

Tony dealers don't have the ability to adjust km's shown.

Judging by this post in this thread I'd wonder about that. Maybe it's something they don't tell all of you about?

I needed a new plastic cover as got crap on mine and wrecked it. Nissan wanted $795 plus then would charge $250 to make the miles the same + fitting - bloody theives !

I highlighted the important bit. Plausible deny-ability at work?

Old.Tony said:
Judging by this post in this thread I'd wonder about that. Maybe it's something they don't tell all of you about?

I highlighted the important bit. Plausible deny-ability at work?

That comment would be the dealer subletting it.
There is no program procedure an needs to be done manually with the cluster out of the vehicle.

if they did, they'd be able to correct our speedo's

I'd argue with that (in the D40, at least).

The odometer reading is a digital display of the vehicle's total distance travelled.

The speedometer is a representation of the approximate speed based on a certain voltage applied to a coil that deflects a needle against the power of a spring mounted behind the needle. Query the ECU directly and it will tell you quite accurately how fast the car is going.

I tested this back when I did have standard tyres - my speedo was out, of course, but the ECU was reporting a speed very close to what my navigation system said we were doing. Just to make sure, we stuck a Tom Tom to the windscreen and watched it as well - all of the digital readouts agreed, but the needle was out. Analog vs digital.

Most speedo's have their pickup in the gearbox, that will send a signal to te ecu which will then operate the needle in the dash(simplest way to put it) as far as altering the km's on vehicles, only the vegicle manufacturer can do that, it gets do e when you swap an instrument cluster and of so insurance companies and the state's governing body responsible fore vehicle registration etc needs to be norified of it. Also whenever you buy an instrument cluster from a wrecker, and because they are a traceable peice of equipment the actually log your details onto a national data base. So in short theoretically you can do it but it's very hard, esp in nsw with yearly rego checks where your vehicles klm are logged, once the vehicle is past three years old

Latest posts

Back