Insurance claim - injectors

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chieftain

Reaction score
Short story, 09 diesel D40 was running a little rough and I thought, hmmm, maybe time to run some of that injector cleaner thru it. So the next day I am cruising down the freeway on the way home and an orange engine emblem lit up on the dash. Slowed down and thought lucky I am not far from home. It chugged up the driveway and I got out the book. Water in filter apparently so I drained a margarine container of crap out and started it up. Not really better so i decided to drive around the block. 400 metres it lasted, coughed and shot smoke out everywhere. An old lady on the corner crapped herself there was so much smoke. Anyway, got it towed to a workshop around the corner and a couple of days later I get the call. This thing is full of water, or lots of water and your injectors are buggered. I should budget on $4000 to replace them. I have full comp insurance with Suncorp. Do you think it is claimable. Its not like I drove it into a wall, or a dam or tipped a garden hose into the tank by accident. Think the cost of just the injectors is $1900.

I'm no expert but I don't think you can claim it. If so everybody would be claiming their timing chains and clutches...

Ive read on a few threads about engine cover included in insurance for things like water...dodgey servo? Did it just happen or was it running ruff for a while?injector dont like water as it cuts metal unlike diesel that lubes the injectors

Filled up in Traralgon Friday night and drove to Melbourne. Picked a boat up and towed it to Kerang Sat morning and did think it maybe used a little more fuel than normal. It did not seem as happy on the Highway, especially with the cruise on. Filled up in Kerang Sunday night and drove home with no boat. Seemed alright. Then just drove to work and back each day (Eltham - Melb CBD) and Wed night it crapped itself. Saturday morning the Missus said to me, She sounds a little differant. A navarra is not a she, her VW golf is a she. Well, maybe the Navarra is a metrosexual. Either way, got to find my insurance policy.

I wonder if it was a buildup over time or was it the last tank of juice..how much juice do you have left in the tank.might be worth getting it checked?

If you keep fuel receipts there's your answer. Have the mechanic take a sample from your tank into a clean bottle, and take a clean fuel-safe container to the servo where you got that fuel from and fill it from the same bowser that you used. THEN you inform the service station owner of what's happened, what you've done and where you want to go with this.

I have read numerous accounts of others having success with the insurance covering water in the fuel.
After reading a few of these i rang my insurer to confirm i to would be covered if it happened to me, At first i was told no they would not cover it, BUT after asking to speak to a supervisor i was told YES i am covered as it is considered an ACCIDENT and as such it IS covered under the ACCIDENT section of the policy.

You should most definitely try and get the insurance company involved and dont take no for an answer as it is 100% an accident.
They will require a few things like a good service history and as tony said some receipts of recent fuel purchases will come in handy along with a letter from the mechanic to state that all damage was 100% from the water in the fuel and not anything else.
It would also be very handy to have a sample of he fuel, and they may want one of there own mechanics to look at it.

good luck and dont take no for an answer if at fist they say no, keep at them and even involve the insurance ombudsman if you have to.

I have seen people get this sort of damage covered under insurance
u need proof of where you filled up before incident (always use plastic when buying diesel)
and a report from your mechanic
you should also inform your insurer asap

Last edited:
I asked my insurance co about this. Suncorp.
They said it is an accident, and would be covered.

My understanding of what you have written is that the motor is full of water.
I added injector cleaner that I got from Supercheap {that will teach me} within a week i had a blown head gasket that i swear the cleaner caused.
The head was stuffed, not cheap.

Baileys diesel in Woolongong is the place for injectors, I could not speak highly enough of their service. I purchased over the phone at 3pm one day & had them in my hands at 11 the next morning in Gippsland.

A hint on the servo would be nice so I can steer clear of them.
I hope the insurance co comes to the party.

I had the same problem with mine $4500 to repair, rang my insurance company and they said yes it was under no fault of my own. Hope you fair the same.

I asked my insurance co about this. Suncorp.
They said it is an accident, and would be covered.

Thats reassuring. I have full comp insurance with Suncorp. Rang them the other night and initially the girl on the phone said no but referred me to her supervisor. Got put on hold for ages and ended hanging up as I had to go out for dinner. I only gave my christian name but still got an email from them later that night quoting a login number so I could follow my dealings with them. Pretty clever of them.

I have read numerous accounts of others having success with the insurance covering water in the fuel.
After reading a few of these i rang my insurer to confirm i to would be covered if it happened to me, At first i was told no they would not cover it, BUT after asking to speak to a supervisor i was told YES i am covered as it is considered an ACCIDENT and as such it IS covered under the ACCIDENT section of the policy.

You should most definitely try and get the insurance company involved and dont take no for an answer as it is 100% an accident.
They will require a few things like a good service history and as tony said some receipts of recent fuel purchases will come in handy along with a letter from the mechanic to state that all damage was 100% from the water in the fuel and not anything else.
It would also be very handy to have a sample of he fuel, and they may want one of there own mechanics to look at it.

good luck and dont take no for an answer if at fist they say no, keep at them and even involve the insurance ombudsman if you have to.

Just wondering Nath, who do you insure with please. Got the receipt from the United in Traralgon. I always get them for tax purposes but as usual the shell at Kerang did not offer one. What is it with shell, you always have to ask. I was a little weary and could not wait to get out of the place. I had to fill up at the high fill bowser as the normal bowser was out of order. Whilst I was there a well dressed bloke pushed his diesel falcon up to the diesel pump and his wife, equally well dressed jumped out from behind the wheel and took off around the corner. I thought I'd end up pushing him down the road too. Falcons dont take the big nozzle.

My understanding of what you have written is that the motor is full of water.
I added injector cleaner that I got from Supercheap {that will teach me} within a week i had a blown head gasket that i swear the cleaner caused.
The head was stuffed, not cheap.

Baileys diesel in Woolongong is the place for injectors, I could not speak highly enough of their service. I purchased over the phone at 3pm one day & had them in my hands at 11 the next morning in Gippsland.

A hint on the servo would be nice so I can steer clear of them.
I hope the insurance co comes to the party.

Sos, United in Traralgon, the one in town. Filled up there plenty of times. Cheapest in town although the one out at Tyers is always cheaper still.

Latest posts

Back