Ipf fatboys

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine say that they're 60W low, 80W high but put out light equivalent to 150W low, 90W high. I'm not sure how that works but the Google translation of the text on the bottom says:

You lucky soldier? For fifty dollar I love you long time!

It might be a misprint.

I've been running mine for about 18 months now (put them on almost within the first few weeks of getting the vehicle). I've done extensive night driving - everything still functions and I haven't blown any fuses.

The headlight wiring is rated to handle your low beam + a headlight flash with a bit of leeway = 55W+60W or about 10A minimum, more likely 20A on the wire. 60+80W = 11.6A which even if they skimped and used 15A wire you're still not exceeding the wiring's capacity.

The big difference between this and wiring up a tub or trailer is the distance. Headlight wiring looms are fairly short, so there's only a small voltage drop and a small current rise in them.

Photos D40 Standard globes vs IPF Fatboys

Like most others I was disappointed with the D40’s head lights and went searching for upgrade options.

I looked into HID and yes technically they are not ADR compliant and illegal on a D40 but I am also led to believe so are fat boys due to their higher wattage... That aside, I was more concerned with frying an expensive electrical system or Nissan voiding any warranty issues down the track as the Philips H4 bi-xenon globe shields are extremely close to the metal shield inside the headlight. The Philips HID kit I went to install said 5mm clearance should be maintained to stop any chance of the globes arcing out... Mine did not have 5mm clearance but I still wanted to try it…

I purchased what was meant to be genuine Philips HID kit off eBay – it looked like the real deal but it wasn’t (I think the only way you can be sure it to buy it from a reputable local dealer). After setting everything up and spending a couple of hours doing a very tidy wiring and ballast install the lights just wouldn’t fire up. The ballasts were faulty as the magnetic globe solenoids worked and all the wiring was spot on but not bright white stuff came out of the globes. I gave up with HID in the end and told the eBayer to jam it when I was told allow 3 weeks for replacement parts (I got my money back - surprisingly).

I went down the safer avenue of installing IPF Fatboys. ARB charged me $175 for a set... It’s hard to tell what the overall increase of light output when you are so used to one thing and then want to expect the world when you spend nearly $200 on globes…

And, seeing there are so many people asking if it’s worthwhile - I decided to take some photos to show before and afters.

Note: the photos are in series with Standard vs. Fatboy globes on low beam then high beam - on light level adjustment setting 0, then Standard vs. Fatboy globes on low beam then high beam - on light level adjustment setting 1, etc. down to level setting 3.

Link to photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116465934355265794356/D40NavaraStdLightsVsIPFFatboys?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCL27_oX68ravuwE&feat=directlink#

All photos taken with Canon EOS 450D, F2.8, 1/4 sec, ISO 1600, from tripod mounted inside cab of D40 Dual Cab Series 4 (standard height).

I found that the headlight level really alters the light focal point – setting 0 seems to throw the light horizontal to the road and doesn’t light up enough of the road surface. Thus, around town I find lowering the lights to setting 1 helps put more light onto the road but doesn’t help the situation on the highway.

Conclusion – are Fatboys worth the expense? They do give an increase in light output with the hassle free installation but I haven’t tried any other globes to compare the evidence… next time round I’ll probably spend the extre $200 bucks on better spotties and be done with it sooner… If I do go back to HID headlights I will give Jaycar a go – the mechanic across the road from my house has installed dozens with no dramas and Jaycar’s locality makes it easier if there are any issues during the warranty period – and cheaper than a set of IPF Fatboys…

In the end I did opt to put spotties on the front of my D40 to keep in a better place with the law and the Nissan should I need to take them on... I put LightForce Genesis 210 on due to the ability to do the aftermarket HID upgrade and mount the ballasts internally, which I have already done costing significantly less than genuine HID genesis lights.

In regards to these driving lights – I put a spot and wide beam on my car which I use for highway driving. Reading other reviews about the wide beams being too wide I contacted LightForce and had the wide beam replaced free of charge to a spot beam… bad idea with HID. Now when I do slow off road driving the light is projected so far ahead it not ideal and same goes for highway driving with not enough out to the sides – I should have kept one of each. I am yet to try the combo lens filters which have just been released… but I hope that gives me a better all-round light setup when the spotties are put to use.

Conclusion – bang for the buck with the LF Gensis and HID upgrade was a cheap alternative to all Genuine HID spotties on the market and do the job well with the internally mounted ballasts (relatively waterproof units). Light output is awesome for what I do, but I have noticed each light has different focal points and the beam is a different shape making it harder to focus the lights on an even plane… it’s probably something to do with the plastic reflectors so next time I’ll try in a set of light with metal reflectors and glass lenses...

Latest posts

Back