Is 240000kms on a d40 too many??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_irving87

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the Navara and have been looking at buying a second hand d40, I've done a bit of research and read about some of there common issues like clutch failure and timing chain issues....there's one in looking at now that's got 240000 on the clock for $19500 from a dealer. Looks in very good condition with bullbat, canopy, side steps etc. It's a 2008 stx. Was wondering if that's too many k's? Is it worth it? Also says it comes with a 5 year unlimited km mechanical warranty? Thanks in advance for any advice👍🏼

That's a better warranty than the car originally came with. I wonder if they'll actually stand behind it.

Diesels aren't petrol, they are much sturdier. Typical life of a diesel engine was quoted to me once as between 500,000 and a million km. I'd rather err on the side of caution and assume around the 500K mark. That means this car is about halfway along its life - and it will go even longer if you treat it well.

Clutches are an issue in the manuals, easily fixed and if you aren't towing or dragging off people at the lights, avoided entirely.

Timing chains are a mixed bag. Some cars had good chains fitted, some didn't. You could jump for a double row chain just to keep your mind at ease (change the tensioners while you're at it).

The radiator may be an issue if you go off-road. There are lugs in the bottom that, should you land the nose heavily (where there's a physical impact forward of the wheels) the radiator can be punctured.

Other than that they're a good vehicle. My own 2009 D40 has recently gone over 200,000km and it's driving very well - although I don't mistreat it, and have regularly serviced it since the day I bought it.

Yeah I'm very interested in seeing what it covers? Seems too good to be true...I knew diesels "tend" to last longer than petrol but wasn't sure with these newer diesels? Found a couple on gumtree that have 380ish thousand on them, heard of another that had over 400000. I too treat my cars very well so I shouldn't have anything to worry about. Cheers for the advice.....btw my 98 hilux 2.7 petty has 428000 on it, original motor..apparently :)

I used own a 07 bt50 turbo deisel and loved it, drove beautifully and no major issues in the 2 years I had it although it only had 97k on it when I got it. Hope the d40 is comparable ;)

Just had a look on carsales,majority of diesel d40's for 20k and under have below 100,000kms. I think that price your looking at is a bit on the pricey side. You could do HEAPS better.

This is what I got back from the dealer about the warranty...better than nothing I Spose? :/

The warranty covers engine components (block, crankshaft, mesh timing gears, oil pump, pistons & piston rings, crankshaft bearings, cylinders, wristpins, camshaft, camshaft gears, connecting rods, internal bushings, balance shaft and bearings only), internal components of gearbox/transmission & differential. Each claim limit for these items is $1,000 with no limit to the number of claims per year. It also covers other itemised components in cooling system, braking system, electrical, fuel, clutch, air cond, drive shaft & universals and engine computer- these items have a $250 claim limit. Servicing requirements are every 10,000 kms OR 6 months (whichever comes first).

Just had a look on carsales,majority of diesel d40's for 20k and under have below 100,000kms. I think that price your looking at is a bit on the pricey side. You could do HEAPS better.

If the 5 year unlimited kay warranty does apply thats certainly worth paying extra for on a truck with 'above the rest' odometer reading tho.

Buy one privately with 100 000 and it does a timing chain the first week and smashes thru the engine then your looking at a hefty rebuild price
Just another thought

Yeah but like its says in the message I got it only covers up to $1000 for each fault....so if the engine poops it self, they will cover $1000 of the cost and would probably have to be done at their workshop or a professional, costing me thousands on top. Still a good thing I Spose, covers some stuff?

Yeah but like its says in the message I got it only covers up to $1000 for each fault....so if the engine poops it self, they will cover $1000 of the cost and would probably have to be done at their workshop or a professional, costing me thousands on top. Still a good thing I Spose, covers some stuff?
You will also have to have the vehicle serviced by them to maintain the warranty...

Cheers for the advice, yeah was a bit steep, went and had a test drive yesterday and it went well felt good, but he was not budging on price at all. Going down Sydney today, better deals down there :)

Just had a look, only found 5 with under 100k for under 20k i. The whole country (Australia). :/

The first 25 adds on carsales are all 20k and under with less the 100k on the clock. Just refine your search, they are out there.
20k with 240 on the clock, what a rip!!

The only advice I could give would be to go straight to the glovebox and make sure it has a good service history . Extended used car warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on ! Read the fine print , lots of catches there ! If you find one you like take it to an independent repairer and throw him fifty bucks for an unbiased opinion . Fifteen minutes under it on a hoist can tell you you a lot about general condition .

Latest posts

Back