is it safe to store diesel in stainless steel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
I have come a cross a few 50l stainless steel beer kegs and was wondering if is it safe to store diesel in them? also there is a plastic/ rubber one too, is that safe? if so I would like to turn them into jerry cans/ long range tank. thought and advice please.

I have two thoughts on this.

First and foremost, the danger inherent in storing diesel fuel in something that you or your mates are likely to up-end over your mouths when you're already tanked. Thankfully it's compression-ignition fuel so all you have to remember is DON'T FART.

Second - there are companies that manufacture diesel tanks from stainless, so I don't see why it'd be a problem. There are different grades of stainless steel of course, but I would imagine that kegs would be fine.

I'd paint the bloody things. Leave them in their original state and some bugger is likely to flog them and fit a tap at a party.

I have two thoughts on this.

First and foremost, the danger inherent in storing diesel fuel in something that you or your mates are likely to up-end over your mouths when you're already tanked. Thankfully it's compression-ignition fuel so all you have to remember is DON'T FART.

Second - there are companies that manufacture diesel tanks from stainless, so I don't see why it'd be a problem. There are different grades of stainless steel of course, but I would imagine that kegs would be fine.

I'd paint the bloody things. Leave them in their original state and some bugger is likely to flog them and fit a tap at a party.

That would just be Karma, and funny at that. Shouldn't steal shit that isn't yours.

Only problem mate is the rubber seals need to be neoprene not standard rubber the diesel will destroy it in no time however if you can source the neoprene and adapt it to fit there is no reason for it not to be viable.

That would just be Karma, and funny at that. Shouldn't steal shit that isn't yours.
I hate ppl that assume. I didn't seal them. I have a mate that owns a shop and the compony he gets them from told to take as many as he wants so he gave me some too.

I hate ppl that assume. I didn't seal them. I have a mate that owns a shop and the compony he gets them from told to take as many as he wants so he gave me some too.

Believe he was talking about people knocking them off you, to drink, the diesel beer:confused2:

could say the same about people that are quick to conclusions:violin2:

HAHAHAHA nah i was talking about people stealing ur shit thinking they were full beer kegs.

Believe he was talking about people knocking them off you, to drink, the diesel beer:confused2:

could say the same about people that are quick to conclusions:violin2:

oh ok I miss understood. il defenetly paint them so they don't look like beer kegs.

:rofl2::hahaha:

Shouldn't be too hard. Would just take a bit of creativity that's all... If you Google it people have probably done it before

I suppose it's a ute ... which means Nissan designed it to have enough space to store beer kegs, especially knowing which country they were sending it to! :rofl:

Seriously, I don't know where there'd be room to store them unless you did a major lift and mounted them like truck fuel tanks along the side, welding running-boards as steps to the outside. Something like the tanks on this:

raid12.jpg

Reckon Calmini can do something to help?

i deliver diesel and gas for origin energy. diesel is fine to keep in almost anything. the only thing to consider is static elec when carting it. if your keeping it in anything it should always be grounded to the best of your ability. hence why servo's have signs for dumbasses to fill jerry cans on the ground instead of in the tub/tray/trailer etc... as far as it eating seals etc. diesel will slowly eat away some types of rubber just like anything else with pertoleum in it...

ok I just spoke to some one today and they told me that the kegs are alloy, is this true and is it safe to use it as tank for diesel?

as far as i was aware they were stainless. stick a magnet on it, easiest way to tell, a magnet won't stick to alloy.

anyway, if they are it doesn't change anything. it will still be ok to store it in.

had a look on the net but couldn't find if they have pressure in them. dose any one know if they do?

Latest posts

Back