is my fuel frozen?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vomitbomb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was camping in the high country last night and it got cold enough to snow. Nav really didn't want to run but we thought we had overcome that after it was running fine for about 40 minutes. Went to go up a hill and died. Each time I let it sit it will run again for 5 minutes and then die again. We've tried pouring boiling water over fuel tank and filter. No change. Have it parked over some warm coals at the moment and just letting it sit.

any suggstions?

Either you have condensation in the tank or the lines have frozen if you drove for 40mins that rules out the second bit check or replace the filter i would drain the tank and refill with new fuel.

Hi john thanks for the advice. The hot coals under the tank seems to have done the trick. The engine wasn't under any load for that first 40 mins though.

First thing I'd do is take it off the coals -- try explaining that to the insurance company!! Park it in the sun - if its sunny.

When diesel freezes it creates a gel - check your filter and lines.

My old hilux froze up in February, was a real cold spell. I ended up sticking a couple of liters of heating oil in it and let it sit for the day, was fine after that. Would idle and run for a short time, bit under load it would suck the fuel primer down and starve itself.

For anyone's curiousity stick a cup full of diesel in the fridge and see what happens, you will understand why it's important for alpine diesel in the cold areas

At the risk of firing up this old debate I wonder if the diesel had two stroke in weather or not it would still gel at the same temp or would be preserved better ?

if your going high country in winter, fuel up while there as they will have anti freeze addetive in the diesel.

if your going high country in winter, fuel up while there as they will have anti freeze addetive in the diesel.

We filled up in Dargo but I guess that didn't have anti freeze in it. Next time I'll be adding some to the tank (even if it is in November). Did not expect the weather to go from beautiful and sunny to dark and snowing so quickly.

The sun wasn't really an option in getting the fuel to warm up since the weather really didn't seem to be getting much better.

Latest posts

Back