Ka24i to td27t conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richod21

Reaction score
Hi Every one
Have been checking out the forum for some time now and thought I would share what I have learnt on my build...
Decided to build a D21 twin cab as I need a bit of room to take the boy hunting, and well couldn't just fork out 40 grand for a d40 and the old 89 d21 diesel single cab was lacking a few seats.
So I pick up a dual cab in Sydney with good panels and no rust for two grand. Unfortunately it had the Ka24i in it which had some poke but was pretty crook and was never the plan so a Jap import TD27t was ordered that cost me 3 grand But hopefully it has only done 50 000kms, and has plenty more left. After much reading on the forum I grabbed a d22 gear box ( thanks Dion ) from a wreaker and I think I got lucky as it looks and feels brand new. Hardly a spec of clutch dust and looking inside down the shifter hole it look like it just came out of the factory!!
Now the fun begins
-38mm body lift
-2 inch suspension lift
- it has 33 inch tyres but will run a thirty inch tyre 90% of the time.
-oil filter relocation kit and cooler ( cause you know that oil filter on the td27 is in a prick of a spot!!)
-New aluminium fuel tank for the diesel
-retrofitted aircon compressor
-a bunch of pretty gauges to keep an eye on what that engine is doing. with pyro boost, speedo, RPM, Water temp, oil pressure should be easy to keep the motor alive.
-and a FRONT LOKKA DIFF LOCK ( my favourite bit!!!)
The engine and drive train are in place now with no major hurdles, the petrol engine mounts stayed in place on the chassis and the passenger side mount on the engine got moved back about 30mm. this is because the diesel chassis mount on this side needs to be further forward the allow room for the big diesel oil filter. that's right its way down next to the chassis rail!!
The filter is now mounted up high where you can do a change over in 30 seconds instead of hanging in the engine bay for 5 minutes!!

The gear box is 30mm longer too thanks to coming from a later model d22, which means Nissan decided to put bigger stronger bearings in the old 71c. (YAY) which means the gear box cross member will need a bit of a new mounting position.
No problem drill some holes slam it together!
Make a 20mm spacer for the front drive shaft so it doesn't reach the end of its travel slam it in there.
some spacers for the rear drive shaft catastrophic protection triangle to put it down lower due to the body lift.
The rear prop shaft fitted sweet saving me some trouble. I thought I would have to shorten it 30mm to suit new gear bow but as it pushes into the rear of the gear box on a spline it simply pushed in that extra 30mm meaning the rear gear box seal was going to run on a new and rusty part of the rear prop shaft, so we put that in the lathe to emery polish a new seal running area and keep that oil in the transfer case!!

Now comes the fun fun part a month of wiring!!

I've got an A4 list of component that need to work to pass rego so here goes...

Any one live in the Albury / Wodonga area that wants to lend a hand with your auto sparky skills??......
Will keep you posted Nav asia
Cheers

Hey Dave

Here is the before shot when she's done I'll put up some more, which may take another month, or 4 slabs all depends how ya measure time.
Nice avatar mate.
Ichin to get her out and see how it climbs.
My old d21 naturally aspirated struggled in a few spots but credit to her she did get us around Oz with a camper trailer in tow

Attachments

• Photo0013.jpg
    Photo0013.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Back