knocking noise 4wding

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nav

Reaction score
When accelerating on the road pretty hard then jumping off the pedal a knocking noise happens down front end. Towards left by sounds of it. Or when im 4wd it happens pretty often when going over bumps. Ive had a look and nothing appears loose. If anyones got any ideas, any advice would be great.the noise is very noticeable and wouldnt mind getting it sorted. Ive searched on here for other peoples knocking noise but none seem to be of any help.
Cheers

I don't think the pre 09 models had problems with the body mounts but I guess couldn't hurt to check them.

The other thing that seems to be popping up a bit is people with the calmini arms possibly having a similar sound because the shock length isn't actually long enough for the travel you get from the arms. Quick way to check just jack the front up till you get full droop and check whether the arms are resting on the bump stop or whether the shocks have actually bottomed out and you still have clearance between arm and bump stop.

-Tyler

nah i have previously changed the transfer case due to stretched chain, and its definitely not the same noise. i have had the front end up before on the jack and the arms do sit on the bump stops when jacked up. this noise has got me stuffed

do you have an aftermarket dump pipe. if You do it could be hiting the uni joint on the front drive shaft mine does this has a nice dint in the dump pipe. the dump pipe move wen the engine twists

could be your hubs? someone can maybe confirm this but didn't someone recently have this same issue and their hubs were ****ed?

yeah i do have an aftermarker dump pipe, but it doesnt sound like a metallic noise though so i doubt it could be the dump pipe.....curious though how did you fix it mahoody? or have you just left it?

im hoping i find this problem soon as its driving me nuts driving around town.
may have to sling it into a mechanic to resurrect it, if i cant figure it myself

I just left it. It's only in 4wd and it has a nice smooth curved dint that almost looks like it's ment to be there and only hits under huge amounts of load in low range

Check your independent suspension arms Where it bolts onto the chassis. There should be 4 bolts with nuts on each side. It sounds like one of them are loose.

Happened to me and it took ages for me to pin point it. So get them tight.

Let me know how u went.

Try your centre bearing. The prop shaft will knock around inside the bearing retainer if its worn badly.

Good luck.

mark checked them, and they seemed pretty good. tighten them up til it wouldnt budge, and still the noise was there afterwards. and chule checked that and its not the prop shaft. thanks for your help guys. it is due for a service very soon, so will handball it to the mechanic and see what the go is. this has done my head in

Did you find out what it was nav? mine does the same.
My rear body mount was completely missing, replaced that and it still does it. I just bought the front two as they seemed perished but am yet to fit them

Mmm I had the same noise , Turned out after I replaced the UCA Bushes Fixed it , Note that I had the car checked and was told they were ok , They were completely knackered.

Latest posts

Back