lag

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Juju

Reaction score
Ok, only had my D22 since August and I am sick of the lag and poor off the line performance. I no its not a drag car but FFS buses, tractors, pushbikes and 13 year olds with a wheelbarrow full of playboy mags pull harder.

Any fix or is this normal?

I am so regretting selling my Patrol for this puss bucket.

have you done the EGR MOD ? also is the engine run in yet ? i have done the egr mod which made some difference plus just over 5500 on the clock the engine is starting you give good performance for this size 2.5 litre .

Yes the lag is terrible,as above EGR mod helps a lot & keeps the soot out of your motor,other small motored 4x4s have hill assist take off to get around problem as will the new D23,other than that chip & after market turbo[forefront] also help,but you wont believe the diff the EGR mod makes,1/2 hours work & $20 if you want a bought one.or make it yourself.Hugh

Thanks Guys,
EGR Mod is done already.
5037kms on the clock and I hate driving it in the Brisbane traffic. On the open road its OK, but the stock suspension leaves a LOT to be desired on QLd goat tracks ... um I mean highways. Tossing up between a kidney belt or some replacement suspension ... I am just loath to spend any money on essentially a brand new vehicle to fix issues that should not exist. And while I have the experts at hand going over a bump with steering turned what is that ker-klonk sound?? Is it the steering stop or is there somthing broken I could not see??

Last edited:
The clunks the steering stops, it's a free non-optional extra on every D22. For the lag Windboosters seem popular.

Thanks Guys,
EGR Mod is done already.
5037kms on the clock and I hate driving it in the Brisbane traffic. On the open road its OK, but the stock suspension leaves a LOT to be desired on QLd goat tracks ... um I mean highways. Tossing up between a kidney belt or some replacement suspension ... I am just loath to spend any money on essentially a brand new vehicle to fix issues that should not exist. And while I have the experts at hand going over a bump with steering turned what is that ker-klonk sound?? Is it the steering stop or is there somthing broken I could not see??

Lol Get the kidney belt mate there's a fine line in how much better they get in my opinion can be done just don't expect to much, and my turbo lag was really bad. I done chip, exhaust, and snorkel and it was still there I have since ditch the chip after nothing but dramas. But to cut a long story short I have just hit 65000ks and I fell the motor has only just started to loosen up and is now going much better I think a bit more boost is the awnser and I'll be looking into doing that at Xmas

I think the answer is probably less boost and a higher static compression... but thanks you have confirmed my fears with the suspension

Could try buying a boost gauge a manual controller to cut out some wastegate creep and up the boost a bit, most people habe between 12-16psi stock and most people are happy to wind it up to 18-20psi. Nsx boost controllers are cheap and easy if you look them up

Last edited:
IMO the yd25 suffers more from (lack of) low end torque, than lag, both separate issues. It's just got nothing in the torque curve at less than 1200rpm.

ideally, fit a variable turbo to it. that will get rid of the lag and help with low down grunt.

suspension, yes in stock form they are crap. rear springs sag fairly quick to.
fit a 2" lift (usually just wind the front up and fix the saggy rear springs), some decent shocks and it will be good.

you do really need some Lag in Brisbane traffic as you can,t go very fast atall . you need to learn how to drive a turbo deisel vehicle 4 x 4 as in keep the rpms up and drive the bloody thing like a truckie. just about every 4 x 4 vehicle does not come with decent susspension from factory so don,t think the navara is the only one .

Really, so driving a 4.2 Patrol since 02, and a hj-73 before that since 1985 is not enough experience... OK ??
Yes the traffic is a problem, its the stop start or more importantly the stop start lag THEN go that is annoying me.

I've just purchased a new 2.5 d22 and only have 1000 Kay's on it but noticed it pulls better than my 3.0 patrol wich suffers from lack of power/torque below 2000 rpm. Patrol has egr block and Dawes valve and around 20,000 Kay's on the motor

I've just purchased a new 2.5 d22 and only have 1000 Kay's on it but noticed it pulls better than my 3.0 patrol wich suffers from lack of power/torque below 2000 rpm. Patrol has egr block and Dawes valve and around 20,000 Kay's on the motor

something is wrong with your patrol.

The patrol is a zd30ddti non common rail. And a lot heavier.

i'm a patrol forum regular ;)
they are heavier but not a huge amount. they are a lot more power than the d22 yd25 is and variable turbo so they do get up and go a lot better.

Have a look into an ECU flash. Guys have been getting 30-40% power and torque increase. Roo systems is Brisbane yes? Check them out.

Have a look into an ECU flash. Guys have been getting 30-40% power and torque increase. Roo systems is Brisbane yes? Check them out.

Is this in reference to the yd25 or the zd30 ?
I have however heard very bad things about Roo Systems.

Last edited:
Ah right yd25 sorry guys.
I work closely with a company that sells roo systems stuff down here in melb. Early on as in a couple of years ago there were issues with roo systems chips and software stuff.
Recently though they have fixed a lot of those issues. I will happily recommend them.

Latest posts

Back