Leaking zd30 turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trb012

Reaction score
Hi guys the other day while servicing my nav I noticed a fair bit of oil over the front diff. After cleaning it off and driving for a day it seems the oil is leaking from the compressor side of theturbo then dripping onto the diff. Still boosting fine and not noisy just leaking looks like il be getting a new forefront replacement but just wondering if anyone else has had there turbos leak from there?

Before you splash the cash, check your oil level first - if they're over filled they push some of the excess oil out the turbo as blow by.

There are two places oil can leak from.

1) The metal joins between the turbocharger components or the oil lines. Some of the D22s would loosen the bolts holding the back of the turbo in place causing this too. It's worth checking closely.

2) Where the rubber hoses join on to the front of the turbocharger (either side, but more often the turbo outlet or high-pressure side). This is both normal and wrong. It's normal because you SHOULD have oil in there (if you have no catch can) - comes from the blowby which is fed from the top of the engine to the air intake just outside the suction side of the turbocharger. It's wrong because if oil is coming out here, your turbo hose is leaking boost (starts off small) so the hose needs either replacing or its clamps tightened properly.

Catch can is fitted so it's not blow buy. Oil feed and drain are dry and oil free as well if you look straight up under the car you can see it dripping off the compressor cover down onto the diff which is why I think its leaking internally. Was just wondering if anyone else has had the same happen before I spend the cash to replace it.

I'd check the bolts on the housing first. People have had similar problems when the bolts are loose. I believe they are Allen key bolts and people have cut down Allen keys to fit...

Yep gave the bolts a once over and there were a couple of loose ones cleaned it all back up so will see how it go's. Thanks guys

Back