Leaky injector seal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradm84

Reaction score
Hey guys, just noticed this on my yd25 d22. Seems like a coating of oil around what I thought is an injector, just behind the oil filler on top of the engine. The other three under the intercooler look dry and clean...
A) is this the the top of the injectors I am looking at and
B) has anyone had a leak like this and can confirm an o-ring or the like being the issue...

Cheers

Brad
uploadfromtaptalk1438492653045.jpg

definetly a leakage there. is this unit tight?
Not sure, haven't touched it yet... Will unplug it later and see... You don't happen to know if it needs a special tool or anything to tighten it?

Ive got the same issue on a d40...im basically monitoring it as i think the rocker cover need to come off to fix it and the injector lines...could be wrong...have been before...it seems like a very small weep tho.

by the looks of this area and weapage i would think there is an O-Ring type Seal under the rocker cover which is causing a leakage of engine oil not fuel.
so off with the rocker cover and replace all 4 seals and main cover seal if there is one.

Ive got the same issue on a d40...im basically monitoring it as i think the rocker cover need to come off to fix it and the injector lines...could be wrong...have been before...it seems like a very small weep tho.
Yeah I am planning on keeping an eye on it for a bit... Just going to clean it up and see what happens. Just in case it was just a little bit of spilled oil at a service sometime since it is only the one closest to the oil filler...
I looked in the service manual about it and I couldn't really see mention of what seals the injectors at the rocker cover... There is a washer and o-ring further down that seal the injector in the head though...
But you are right though, the service manual says the rocker cover and injector tubes have to come off to get to anything to do with the injectors. Then there are some o-ring seals for the tubes as well and the rocker cover gasket that would need changing as well once things get opened up and then put back together, hence why I'm going to watch it for a bit first as its a bit of a job...

yeah brad its only a very very minor leakage or hopefully spillage, just clean around with a rag and keep an eye on it.

I've had this same issue not long ago, although mine were leaking much worse.
The rubber O-rings in the rocker cover fail and let engine oil spray through, to fix you have to replace the entire rocker cover which is 320 bucks plus labour.
Reason being is Nissan acknowledged this was a problem in the yd25 and proceeded to change the rocker cover and seals to a different design, but because it was not a safety issue it didn't need to be a recall. Well done Nissan lol.

i am sure if you took an old 0-Ring to Pertec [ spelling ] they could easily match up a suitable new set of o-rings for this cover. buggered if i would be paying $350 for a new rocker cover just because the seals need replacing.

I got a price from Nissan for a rocker cover gasket, washers and o rings to redo my injectors and parts only cost was approx. $125

Just wondering if anyone knows if this leaky seal could cause any issues with the injector itself?

I am having issues also with injector noise, well I think it's injector noise (like a tappet sort of noise while under light load and especially around 2000rpm) because I run a can of liquimoly diesel purge through it and it went nice and quiet but only lasted for a few thousand k's as became noisy again. So I ran another can through and it went a bit quieter again for another couple thousand k's but now noisy again... its quite noisy at times but other times not too bad.

The car also blows a fair bit of black smoke when taking off from the lights which I know is a yd25 d22 thing cause I see most other people's do it too, but I think mine has become a bit worse than others. Not sure if that is a symptom of an injector problem also?

But back to the first question, is there a possibility that the oil seepage around that injector is somehow getting into the injector causing fouling of some sort?

Probably should be taking it in to get the injectors serviced I'd say but thought I'd check here if anyone knows or has had injectors issues like this?

Ive got a d40.I get the same noises as you do..ive spoken with a lot of others (mainly d40 owners) they all have the same issues but nothings really wrong.mine comes and goes but some days its really quiet.i get a lot of rattle when i back off the accelerator and let it coast along.put my foot down again and its quiet.its like the higher the pressure the less it rattles.in saying that if i disable my chipit chip its even quieter again.

Since the working pressure of the injector is so high.its pretty tightly sealed up so anything around it has no chance of getting in.

Baileys diesel service does a excellent set of exchange injectors also.well worth a look and read over if you thinking injectors....as they have corrected some of the injectors inherent issues so they should outlast even a new denso set

Brad as for the black smoke saga, have you done the EGR Plate block off ? also how long has it been since you changed your Fuel Filter ?

Baileys diesel service does a excellent set of exchange injectors also.well worth a look and read over if you thinking injectors....as they have corrected some of the injectors inherent issues so they should outlast even a new denso set
Had a look on their website and their blueprinted ones look good and cheaper than the new ones too... If it comes to that I'll be going for a set of those... Might get these ones pulled out and checked by a diesel injector mob one day and see what they say... The cover needs to come off to change that leaky seal anyway...

Brad as for the black smoke saga, have you done the EGR Plate block off ? also how long has it been since you changed your Fuel Filter ?
Hey mate, I did have the egr blanked off and it did help the smoke but caused the rattling injector type noise to increase a little so I took it out and have completely forgotten to put it back in, thanks for reminding me... The fuel filter was changed 15000k's ago (genuine filter) and am about to change it again since we're about to go on a bit of a long trip in it...

Latest posts

Back