Limp mode and bad diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acko13

Reaction score
Had an interesting experience on a trip to Canberra recently.
My 2010 (Spanish build) D40 STX has done about 13,000km without a hitch. I was driving to Canberra and decided to stop and fill up at a large garage just north of Gundagai. Usually I fill at the high speed pumps where the trucks are but as there were many of them filling I used the diesel pump on the driveway.
About 15 lkilometers up the road the vehicle went into limp mode.
To cut a long story short, I made it to Canberra and contacted the Nissan place (National Capital Motors). I spoke with the service manager (Laurie Davis - a top bloke!) and he told me that it would be contaminated fuel and he had a number of other Navaras in for the same problem. They dropped the tank, flushed out the lines and cleaned the injectors - they gave me a fuel sample clearly showing some muck in it.
Now here is the interesting bit. Laurie contacted Nissan technical and they sent him a computer down load which I think makes the Navara sensors a little less sensitive to fuel contamination - apparently they are VERY sensitive to Australian diesel. The bottom line is that the car is now running even better than ever.
Here is the unfortunate bit. I supplied the fuel company with the purchase receipt, a statement of what happened, a copy of the dealers account and three photographs of the contaminated sample. Their legal firm has contacted me and stated that the oil company 'have investigated'and do not believe they have any liability for the damage to my vehicle.
So...I must have imagined the whole thing obviously, but I am still out of pocket.
I will never buy any of their products again.

i had the same problem with my 2009 str when it was 3 weeks old had about 3000 ks on it nissan in wyong gave me the fuel and i went to the servo and they tested fuel it was fine according to them and the owner of the servo also informed me that on the day i got my fuel that he had sold 9000 litres of the same fuel and no other complaints incidently i put the same fuel that nissan gave back to me back through the car with no problem yes they say they flushed tank end put some "clean"fuel beck in but i belive all they done was change a faulty sensor but as i wasnt in the work shop to see i cant prove that i have a mate with a triton had same problem one time but he was quick enough to tell the dealer to change a sensor before just bleming fuel botom line im out 300 bucks to nissan as i just paid the bill before arguing and they wernt prepaired to send the fuel away to the lab unless i paid for the test upfront and i didnt have the spare cash at thi time so i just let it go as for nissan ill buf another nav but it wont be from nissan

Had an interesting experience on a trip to Canberra recently.
My 2010 (Spanish build) D40 STX has done about 13,000km without a hitch. I was driving to Canberra and decided to stop and fill up at a large garage just north of Gundagai. Usually I fill at the high speed pumps where the trucks are but as there were many of them filling I used the diesel pump on the driveway.
About 15 lkilometers up the road the vehicle went into limp mode.
To cut a long story short, I made it to Canberra and contacted the Nissan place (National Capital Motors). I spoke with the service manager (Laurie Davis - a top bloke!) and he told me that it would be contaminated fuel and he had a number of other Navaras in for the same problem. They dropped the tank, flushed out the lines and cleaned the injectors - they gave me a fuel sample clearly showing some muck in it.
Now here is the interesting bit. Laurie contacted Nissan technical and they sent him a computer down load which I think makes the Navara sensors a little less sensitive to fuel contamination - apparently they are VERY sensitive to Australian diesel. The bottom line is that the car is now running even better than ever.
Here is the unfortunate bit. I supplied the fuel company with the purchase receipt, a statement of what happened, a copy of the dealers account and three photographs of the contaminated sample. Their legal firm has contacted me and stated that the oil company 'have investigated'and do not believe they have any liability for the damage to my vehicle.
So...I must have imagined the whole thing obviously, but I am still out of pocket.
I will never buy any of their products again.

Have you mentioned this to your insurance company??

There has been a few people on this forum, and the patrol forum, that have had the insurance company pay for damage caused by contaminated fuel.
Most of those guys weren't as lucky as you and needed a new fuel rail, pump ect with the repair cost over 10k.

I spoke with my insurer, but the first time a called was told that they WOULD NOT COVER THAT AT ALL....... so i rang back and spoke with a supervisor, i was then told YES I AM COVERED FOR THAT IN MY ACCIDENT SECTION OF THE POLICY. well it is an accident, its not as if you would deliberately fill up with crud.

I was told that what you will need to give the insurer a copy of the report from your mechanic. It will have to state that the damage was caused by poor fuel.

So dont be surprised if at first you are told no, but dont stop ask again and again.

Anyway best of luck getting your cash back.

Have you mentioned this to your insurance company??

There has been a few people on this forum, and the patrol forum, that have had the insurance company pay for damage caused by contaminated fuel.
Most of those guys weren't as lucky as you and needed a new fuel rail, pump ect with the repair cost over 10k.

I spoke with my insurer, but the first time a called was told that they WOULD NOT COVER THAT AT ALL....... so i rang back and spoke with a supervisor, i was then told YES I AM COVERED FOR THAT IN MY ACCIDENT SECTION OF THE POLICY. well it is an accident, its not as if you would deliberately fill up with crud.

I was told that what you will need to give the insurer a copy of the report from your mechanic. It will have to state that the damage was caused by poor fuel.

So dont be surprised if at first you are told no, but dont stop ask again and again.

Anyway best of luck getting your cash back.

Yes, well the pure facts of the matter are that I left Adelaide with a tank full of the same product that I topped up with later. Same brand. For the sake of what is a mere drop in the bucket (my repairs) they have lost a lifetime customer and a lot of my friends in the 4WD club. It also makes a mockery of their Fuel Guarantee. I don't care what they say. I used their product...it messed up my car. That's a fact.

That's life I guess - so now you know what to expect. Notice that I have NOT named the fuel company - you work it out.

Latest posts

Back