Locking the Tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanD22

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here, but I've been reading for quite some time.

I've just set up the back of my D22 with dual battery and will be carrying a fridge around while on trips, and am a bit worried about the security in the tray.

I've got an ARB canopy on it, but the back locks attach to the sides of the canopy and the tray seems like it would be fairly easy to open if you gave it a good pull.

I'm thinking of putting a bolt lock on either side of the tray door that would slide into holes drilled in the sides of the tray, so you would have to unlock the canopy before unlocking these.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Thanks
Dan

Thanks pdiddy,

I had a mental blank and couldn't think of the word tailgate while writing the original post!!

After a bit of searching it seems a lot of people have this issue, and maybe the bolts at the sides are the way to go (and cheapest).

I haven't been able to find a key lock like that D40 one for a D22, and mine is the Thai build with the smaller handle on the tailgate, so not much space to fit a keyhole into..

Thanks
Dan

That looks like a good idea hopefully they won't smash you windows if they cannot jemmy it those windows are worth a fortune. I also carry a 6mtr flexy cable just to make things harder if they get in.

I had a mental blank and couldn't think of the word tailgate while writing the original post!!

Hahaha it's the drop down thingy at the back. We all know what it is:)

G'day,

Just wondering if you had any luck finding something for this? I'm after the same thing (just about to install second hand canopy).

Cheers,

-Scott

I thought about locking my rear tailgate to protect everything but my thoughts were if some one wanted whatever was in the back they are going to get it regardless, its easy to smash a window
whenever we were away on tour we would never leave the car where it could be targeted and the majority of the time there was a dog of some variety in the back with all our gear or some one was left with the car.
my ute was parked in the driveway for 2 yrs with a fridge and other goodies in the tray and it never got touched, while other cars were stolen from same street, maybe it was the sensor lights?

G'day,

Just wondering if you had any luck finding something for this? I'm after the same thing (just about to install second hand canopy).

Cheers,

-Scott

I'm going with the slide bolts into the sides of the tray. Going to drill and then pop rivet them in.

I realize that if someone really wants to get in they'll just break a window, but I'd think in most cases it's enough of a deterrent to protect my fridge / surfboards and whatever else.

Also thinking of putting a black film on the side windows of the canopy and maybe something on the back.

Cheers
Dan

Latest posts

Back