Long term storage - tips needed.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MW351

Reaction score
Hi all, just received my packing orders and I'm off overseas for 3 years for work. Just looking for any tip on long term storage? I would normally just sell the car but I've just got it setup right and selling it would break my heart, loss of $$$$ Looking at storing it a friends garage and covered.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

Get them to start it every now and then. Oil left sitting idle that long will **** the engine when u try and start it later.

When you get back drain the fluids before using it again - they'll go bad over time.

If it sits there without being turned over the rings will rust onto the bores. Ask them to drive it once a month.

If you don't want it driven, you can put it on blocks , the overfill the oil and fill the bores with oil , total pain in the ass, easiest is to get it driven so gear box etc get movement

Do you plan on keeping it insured and registered? The best way is that is driven. Doesn't have to really often, every 2 or 3 weeks will do but when they do take it for a decent run. Can they take it to work once every now again or something like that and will they actually do it?

If no to the above as nakedape points out, change the fluids on return, particularly the brake, clutch fluid and coolant. On return I would bar the engine over and give it some cranking time before starting. Where the damage happens is letting the vehicle sit is the all the seals dry out. Engine main, gearbox, diff, brake master and wheel cylinders. Air cond. compressor.... List goes on. Letting it just sit it will still go when you get back but without doing the the right prep before and after will shorten the life of your truck.

Last edited:
I have had cars stored for long periods before, with mixed results, here's what I would do: thoroughly wash and polish it, get a good quality car cover, put it up on jack stands, wind the windows down a half inch,remove the battery ( make sure you disconnect the bonnet catch on the Navara. ) block up the exhaust pipe and the intake spray the underside of the car and suspension components liberally with wd40 or similar and hope for the bast.

Keeping it registered and insured is a waste of money, and having friends start it/drive it will become a burden to them..

On your return a complete replacement of all fluids.

I wonder how the ecu and nats security system will go being disconnected from a battery that long.
Maybe Old Tony can shed some light on that part... I have heard of spare keys no longer working when separated from the vehicle for a long time...

what cuz did as he was away working overseas for 4 years, was to put it on stands.
get them to start it once a month. even put it in gear and let it idle.
we had it in a shipping container which we added another roof on top.
you could fit a decent battery charger that has auto cut off etc. so it will trickle charge when needed. letting batteries go flat kills the battery.

I wonder how the ecu and nats security system will go being disconnected from a battery that long.
Maybe Old Tony can shed some light on that part... I have heard of spare keys no longer working when separated from the vehicle for a long time...

Not sure on that 1, have left my Navara with battery disconnected for 3 months without any problems..

I don't think the sitting will be the problem it will be the environment it stored in. You need to keep the moisture away from it. A long shot but maybe call a car museum or collector like Bowden of Bowdens own car products or the Bathurst motor museum, they store cars all the time and would know the best way to do it and could give you some ideas at least.

If the car's computer is turned off and you remove the battery from your key as well (to avoid the battery from leaking and destroying the key) it should just reconnect as if a full reset was done.

Personally I'd prefer that the vehicle was driven than filled with embalming fluids and wrapped in cloth in the hope it comes good when you get back, didn't work out for Tutankhamun and it probably won't work too well for TootenCarmen either (just kidding guys, I needed to PUNish everyone).

Seriously, lend the car to someone you can trust on the understanding that they service it when needed and keep the car operational. Hopefully they won't put so many miles on it that it'll need tyres but you might consider springing for a set of tyres after year 2, just to keep the rubber fresh.

i have heard many stories of people storing their cars.
i did a quick search for you,

heres some ideas it seems the easiest thing to do is drive it!
ALSO Where are you located, Im sure somone here might like to help a fella out every other month

Wash and seal/wax the car including undercarriage, clean the interior
Change the oil/oil filter
Top off the fuel tank and add a fuel stabilizer (I read that it is good to top the car off to prevent moisture from forming in the fuel tank)
Place a plastic sheet or tarp down to park the car on
Remove the battery
Leave the car in gear and release the parking brake to prevent pads from sticking.
Place the car on jacks raising the car slightly to prevent flat spots in the tires
Place chock blocks.
Plug the exhaust and intake to prevent rodent infestation
Place a dessicant or baking soda inside to prevent any odors from forming and to absord any moisture
Cover the car with a breathable car cover
I use clothes dryer anti static sheets in the interior and around the engine to keep the critters away
I would recommend treating all weather stripping with silicone type spray
You'll probably need to change the other fluids that do not have stabilizer in them.

I have heard that just leaving the doors just on the first latch so the seals are not compressed is beneficial as well.

I guess one option is to put it in an air tight container and purge it with nitrogen :)

Put it in a container and take it with you. Get your boss to pay for it as it's part of the family :)

Latest posts

Back