Looking at buying a D40 - help needed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vomitbomb

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for a while. Some great information on here but I was after something a little more specific.

I've been looking at D40s for a while now and I'm at the point where I've decided to buy. I was originally looking at a second hand ST-X around 06, 07, 08 but I've found the 2011 series 5 STs (which I was under the impression took over from the old ST-Xs?) are having run out sales at the moment. Probably because of the new 140kw series 6 or they're just old stock. I hadn't considered buying new but there are a few incentives I like.

Anyway, the base offer for a 2011 series 5 ST with a tub liner and tow pack was $41,040 (without an ABN). What should I go down to? Has anyone else taken advantage of one of these deals? I'm kinda lost when they ask me what it'd take for me to sign the contract right there and then since I can't be sure if I'm getting a good deal or not.

Looking forward to your input.

Regards,
Shane

Hi Shane,
I got mine at the end of Jan for about 39k in melb, that was with tow pack and mats.
Its alot of truck for the price when you compare to other makes even have a look at used prices to help make up your mind. im happy with my purchase.
Clint.

Hi Shane,
I got mine at the end of Jan for about 39k in melb, that was with tow pack and mats.
Its alot of truck for the price when you compare to other makes even have a look at used prices to help make up your mind. im happy with my purchase.
Clint.

Thanks ourd40.

That's the kind of information I'm after. Did you have an ABN?

Its the 2012 ST that has taken over the 2011 STX which means the one you are looking at is a Thai built D40.

I bought my dec 2010 built ST 2011 compliance, in April last year for $36k + bar ect ect
So i think you will get them down a bit more then $41k, especially getting closer to the end of the financial year.
I would think they will start a run out sale soon if they haven't already.

Oh and i bought mine with an ABN.

Welcome to the forum!

As Nathan said, the range is in a state of transition.

What we knew as an ST will no longer be available - Thailand will stop producing the D40 Dual Cabs in the higher end of the range. They will probably continue to produce RX and Kingcab versions.

The new ST will be what we all know as the STX - the 140kW 2.5L 4-cylinder diesel.

The new STX will be what we think of as the "550" - the 170kW/550Nm 3.0L V6 diesel.

If you're looking at a 2011 ST, it'll be a Thai build (the VIN will start with "MNT", Spanish cars start with "VSK"). It will have the 126kW engine - that's the same powerplant that I have in my 2009 STX. I have no complaints about the power - it's a good engine. There might be issues with timing chain tensioners although I've not experienced any difficulties yet after 84,000km. I expect that (if it will be a problem) to raise its ugly head in the next 20-40,000km.

What area of Melbourne are you in Shane? Mate of mine is the sales manager at a Nissan dealership if he can help at all

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for a while. Some great information on here but I was after something a little more specific.

I've been looking at D40s for a while now and I'm at the point where I've decided to buy. I was originally looking at a second hand ST-X around 06, 07, 08 but I've found the 2011 series 5 STs (which I was under the impression took over from the old ST-Xs?) are having run out sales at the moment. Probably because of the new 140kw series 6 or they're just old stock. I hadn't considered buying new but there are a few incentives I like.

Anyway, the base offer for a 2011 series 5 ST with a tub liner and tow pack was $41,040 (without an ABN). What should I go down to? Has anyone else taken advantage of one of these deals? I'm kinda lost when they ask me what it'd take for me to sign the contract right there and then since I can't be sure if I'm getting a good deal or not.

Looking forward to your input.

Regards,
Shane

I bought a 2011 ST Auto with a HR towbar and floormats for $39888 with no ABN in February this year, hope this helps.

You wouldn't bother with a second hand one at these prices !

Welcome to the forum!

As Nathan said, the range is in a state of transition.

What we knew as an ST will no longer be available - Thailand will stop producing the D40 Dual Cabs in the higher end of the range. They will probably continue to produce RX and Kingcab versions.

The new ST will be what we all know as the STX - the 140kW 2.5L 4-cylinder diesel.

The new STX will be what we think of as the "550" - the 170kW/550Nm 3.0L V6 diesel.

If you're looking at a 2011 ST, it'll be a Thai build (the VIN will start with "MNT", Spanish cars start with "VSK"). It will have the 126kW engine - that's the same powerplant that I have in my 2009 STX. I have no complaints about the power - it's a good engine. There might be issues with timing chain tensioners although I've not experienced any difficulties yet after 84,000km. I expect that (if it will be a problem) to raise its ugly head in the next 20-40,000km.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. I went for a test drive today and the power seemed fine to me. Handled much like a normal car which was fantastic. I'm not a tradie or anything but the main reason I'm after this car is that it will give me the ability to access more of the country and will drive less like a truck and more like a car + I'll be able to put the bike on the back. Shame about the extra eastlink tolls.

I guess that's the beauty with warranty, if there is a problem with the timing chain they'll have to fix it yeah?

What area of Melbourne are you in Shane? Mate of mine is the sales manager at a Nissan dealership if he can help at all

Hi Timmy,

I live in Ringwood.

Hi shane, I live in Heathmont and just got a RX about 3 weeks ago.
Are you dealing with Croydon Nissan?

It depends - warranty runs out in October this year or 120,000km which I suspect I won't get to - I'll make 90,000km easily, maybe even 100,000, but without some major trips to the interior or across the treeless plain, I won't break the km.

The good news is twofold. I can extend the warranty for another 3 years and that'll cover it. BUT - the rumour is that Nissan in Europe are extending the warranty on the timing chains for an additional 2 years (out to 5 years) and I'll easily pass 120,000km by the car's 4th birthday. Basically I'd be covered.

I am thinking of extending the warranty - it's about $1200 or so, but that's a lot less than the cost of the chains+tensioner+labour.

Shane, go down to Croydon tomorrow and ask for Rick. Tell him you know Tim.
Il message him now and tell him to look after you.
Just tell him you know me through the navara forum

I have known Rick for a while and is a great guy to deal with

Shane, go down to Croydon tomorrow and ask for Rick. Tell him you know Tim.
Il message him now and tell him to look after you.
Just tell him you know me through the navara forum

I have known Rick for a while and is a great guy to deal with

Thanks Tim.

I hope I can get down there tomorrow, that'd be great.

Well I just signed the contract.

$38k for a 2011 ST 4x4 with a tow pack, tub liner & mats. Hopefully everything goes well from this point on and I get it by the end of next week.

That was in Croydon too. Thanks for the referral Tim, I owe you a beer or two :cheers!:

G'day Shane, Thats great news!!
You will be very happy with buying it from Croydon, they have fantastic customer service at the dealership.

Great price as well!! glad to hear he looked after you.

just go online & get an A.B.N. like my dealer told me to do. No problems with my Acct either.

Latest posts

Back