Looking at buying a navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajf94

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at buying a 2012 D40 st 6sp manual with 35000kms on it. Before purchasing the vehicle is there anything specific I should be looking for in terms of problems? Anyone had any major trouble with them?

Thanks

In the past timing chains and clutches have been issues for some models of D40's but in recent years that seems to have improved.

K's are quite low for age. If he price is right, service history all in place it could be a good deal. Another thing to be aware of is although they drive great and comfort is still one of the best in class the stock suspension is not really up to any real sort of off roading.

Just to add to my previous post. If your planing to use the vehicle as a tow vehicle, the manual box is not the best choice. Like it's fine if your towing your 6x4 garden trailer down the tip but if plan on towing a van or hauling a heavy boat up the ramp. Look for an auto. D40's make great power for a 2.5L but off idle performance is poor. At idle it's really just a non turbo 2.5L diesel in a heavy vehicle.

Hey there mate, welcome to the forum. Something does go wrong, if you purchase the new rig, you've found the right place to get some genuine answers. Plenty of great people with a wealth of knowledge.
If your looking to buy thrua dealer, make a condition that (at least) your 40k service is free. Don't quote me but i believe its a fairly exxy service.

Last edited:
Cheers guys for your information

The ute has a tough dog 2inch lift in it already. I'm a carpenter in northwest nsw so a bit of dirt driving. I tow a tool trailer every day it's only 750kg though I've been pulling it with my xr6 falcon no worries. I much prefer manuals, it's all I've ever driven.

Don't get it wrong, not you can't tow anything with a manual just not going to be the same off the line uphill as a lighter, greater powered petrol motor. Lot more of a struggle (1200 +/- kilos)
Things can be done to improve this tho.. Time to getta readin'

If you haven't already bought it, try to make sure its the Spanish built version, not the Thai one.

I have a mate who works in Nissan, and although he cant officially say ones better then the other, there is a difference

Cheers

If you haven't already bought it, try to make sure its the Spanish built version, not the Thai one.

I have a mate who works in Nissan, and although he cant officially say ones better then the other, there is a difference

Cheers
i think its the other way round. Thai is the better .

I've heard that to. I think the Spanish build ended up using the Thai sourced timing chains. On the Thai models they went to a Single Mass flywheel from about August 2011 which was another bug bear of the Navaas. I had the service manager say to me shortly after I brought mine that there is a lot less Waranty issue with the Thai models although I did say him there is a lot less Thai built Navs on the road. He didn't have much come back on that one.

First post and long time reader of this site.

I have a late 2010 Thai built D40 6 spd TD, great truck.

Back