Loss of power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruid93

Reaction score
Hey guys

When I go for long drives like more than 2 hrs my cars losses power and has barely any acceleration. Does anyone know what could be causing it and how can I fix it

There could be a number of things causing this, and the other symptoms at the time will help us determine the most likely cause.

1) Fuel type - petrol or diesel?
2) Is there any smoke evident when this happens, and if so, what colour is it?
3) Does the Check Engine Light on the dash light up?
4) Does the car appear to be limited to a certain RPM?

For example, it could be the turbocharger actuator solenoid, which is a diesel problem and if it happens you'll have black smoke and no limitation in the rpm (it's just sluggish).

Ok well its a 2012 st d40 manual 2.5 diesel

When it happens there isnt any extra smoke than usual just the normal amount due to the diesel

Na no lights come on at all or no beeps and the engine even sounds the same

But yes it does feel limited on the throttle and I struggles to get to and passed 3000 rmp

Na mate engine temp gauge is good but if its a faulty gauge I wouldnt know

If it's reaching 3000rpm without any extraordinary smoke then it could well be a SCV issue. Run some Liqui-Moly Injector Cleaner through and see what happens. I noticed a difference in my car in the first 100km.

It may be a loose hose to the throttle body, mine did this on boxing day. Had nissan roadside assist come out and the big hose was loose, he refitted it and tightened the clamp. No problems since.

Hope this helps
Cheers Rob

Im pretty sure is isnt that because ive ran the cleaner throw before and it had no help with the problem

The car reaches normal operating temperature within minutes. Any temperature-based abberation is going to happen within the first half hour, although you could "inspire" that by towing something up a hill - temps rise real fast then! You'll know if it's temperature-related - your aircon compressor will shut down.

I wonder if there's something in the fuel system. Maybe a vac lock in the tank, could be a blocked breather? Try the same trip with the fuel cap left loose. The fuel system pumps diesel around like a demon - the entire 80L tank will pass through the pump every 5-10 minutes. However, if the tank is completely sealed, it should start having trouble drawing fuel after some of the fuel has been used and the pressure above the fuel in the tank drops enough. Then, the pump is challenged to draw fuel - which may start to draw air from the joins around the filter, or the primer.

Which gives me an idea. Next time the car starts acting up, immediately pull over and shut down the engine, pop the bonnet and try squeezing the primer bulb. It should take no more than 2-3 squeezes to go firm. If it goes for more, you may have a small leak allowing air into the line when the tank is reluctant to release fuel. Loosening the cap and clearing the breather will fix the problem - the leak isn't worth pursuing unless it's happening when the rest of the system is in good order.

Just some ideas, it's not a common problem!

sorry to be rude ruid iv just got a quick question for OT when u say 2 or 3 presses on the primer should this be the same when engine is cold as i primed mine the other morning cold and it took 6 or 8 presses to firm up i get random really rough idle on start up.

sorry to be rude ruid iv just got a quick question for OT when u say 2 or 3 presses on the primer should this be the same when engine is cold as i primed mine the other morning cold and it took 6 or 8 presses to firm up i get random really rough idle on start up.

As Black Outlaw says, hot or cold it should be the same. If you're getting more then there's an air leak.

Prime candidates are (in order of likelihood):

1) Aftermarket fuel filter with ill-fitting central o-ring
2) Hose clamps undertightened
3) Hose clamps overtightened crimping the hose
4) Damaged/aged fuel hoses (anywhere between fuel pump and fuel tank)
5) Broken fuel spigot on tank (the outlet)

Latest posts

Back