Loss of power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve99

Reaction score
I was driving along the Pacific Motorway today when my 2010 2.5L D40 Navara suddenly lost power. Initially I couldn't work out what was going on as there was no noise but the engine was still running but wouldn't do much over 2000rpm, and if or when it did, I could see plenty of black smoke in the rear vision mirror.

I tried to get home but only managed to do about 20klm before it finally gave up the ghost and stopped. During my effort to get home I could sit on about 60kph with little problem and no black smoke, but once I tried to increase speed the engine ran and sounded terrible and more black smoke appeared . I changed the fuel filter but that made no difference as I still cant start it. So I had it towed home.

In the next day or so I'll organise someone to have a look at it, but before then, does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? The vehicle has done 225,000klm and still has the original injectors - just thought that could be the problem.

Cheers Steve

Last edited:
Limp mode...?! Happens for all different reasons.
Fuel, fuel filter, O2 sensor..? Did you try stopping , turning off and restarting it?

Limp mode...?! Happens for all different reasons.
Fuel, fuel filter, O2 sensor..? Did you try stopping , turning off and restarting it?

Scrap that. Just reread it. I'm not too sure. I had a similar problem with mine and can't remember what fixed it. Might've been the problem with a gasket I found cracked. It was a couple of years ago.

Happy hunting. 😣

I would have said 'SCV' at the start but the SCV doesn't usually cause a complete failure like that. It sounds more like something in the air stream - turbo control being the main culprit. Yours should be electronic, and many of those were replaced by Nissan - if your turbo sits low, and doesn't have a vac hose hanging off a widget attached to it, then it's electronic and may have either failed or require replacement.

Could also be the MAFS has some dirt. Be careful, that's a $400 widget. Remove, clean inside the hole with electrical contact cleaner ONLY - never EVER poke anything in that hole - keep spraying until the fluid runs clear, hold it for a further 30 seconds then reinstall. Check that air filter box is sealed (watch the side, it can break free and I don't mean Freddy Mercury style) and obviously make sure that the filter is okay and intact. I've had a filter start to disintegrate in the box from humidity (they said). Lots and lots of driving in the rain caused dampness to affect the bends in the filter paper and they started to fracture.

There are other reasons of course, and some of those include electrical gremlins - often as a result of pressure washing the engine bay, but sometimes as a result of a water crossing.

Had my D40 Navara towed to a mechanic this morning to see if they could work out what the problem is.

Spoke with him a little while ago and he said "no fault codes came up on the ECU" I'm not sure wether that's a good thing or not, although I suppose it makes the mechanics job little harder.

Latest posts

Back