Loud electrical "crack" noise when turning ignition

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffta

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help....I was having probs with the tail light/ console light circuit. Auto elec fixed it this week, diagnosed as short in spotties circuit. This was Monday.

Today (Friday) when I went to leave work, I head a load sparky "crack" noise when I turned the ignition, all the dash lights went off and I couldn't start the ute, all dead. I had to jump start from second battery.

Any thoughts guys? My battery knackered or another short maybe?

All ideas gratefully accepted.
Griff

I've heard that noise before. Sounds like your describing the sound of a fuse blowing. Check them.

Sounds like a fuse, theres a 10 amp in the cab fuse box that does the dash lights and ignition. If you had to jump start it it could be the ones in the engine bay.

+1 on the fuse. Have a couple handy, because odds are if the fuse blew that quick and the problem hasn't been rectified, you'll toast another before blinking.

The real job is finding what caused it to blow.

Battery terminal? Not the actual part on the battery post but further back.

Why I'm saying that is the Auto Elec. probably disconected it to do the work and therefor could of disturbed somthing around that area.

Loud click / pop, then nothing?? no lights on dash no crank, no nothing??
Check the earth on the battery, remove the plastic spacer, and re-tighten the clam on the terminal.
had it happen to me like that several times, determined it was an earth issue, but didn't realise (until later) that my playing around with the earth wires was pushing the terminal clamp back into place. haven't had the problem since....

Oh and if that is the problem, the noise is just a relay clicking off loudly.

Nissan factory terminals are thin and shitty at best! They corrode and break real easily. Grab yourself some solid new ones and some terminal protector, swap em over and spray the protector on lightly but enough to cover it all.

I had the same problem when I changed the glow plugs. Went to start it and just a loud snap. Grabbed the volt metre and checked it as I cranked it and sure enough it gave a reading of 0. Changed it over and hasn't missed a beat since!

Back