low 2nd or 3rd or hi

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jockster

Reaction score
Hi Guys and gals if any there.

well what it is going up to lanecelin on sunday in WA they are a lot of steep sand dunes there, what is the best gears to use in your opinions, 4 low or hi and what gears.

Hi jockster. I would go for low range 2nd gear if you don't have a good run up. Hi is ok if you can hit it at a bit off pace but can be risky to your suspension if you hit it to hard. Lower your tyre pressures to 12-16 psi. That will help heaps with traction. It also depends on how much grunt you have under the bonnet to. My Nav in Hi range just runs out of puff so in Lo I can keep the revs up. Hope this helps.

Cheers.

yea its 140kw at like 4000rpm though

just use low range, gives you a better spread of gears and you won't be driving around wringing its neck.

He means it develops peak power @ 4000rpm on the taco, if the sand is very soft and the dunes steep low range will give you a much more flexible choice of gears to play with give it to much right foot will be the end of it i did big red in 3rd low range others used 1st high and ran out of puff then slipped the clutch and bogged hope this makes sense.
John

Nissan made some enhancements to the 140kw YD25 didn't they? I wonder... did they fix the all or nothing at 2000rpm problem? like my last D22 was a YD25 variant and below 2000rpm it was a slug then you'd get to 2000rpm and it'd take off with this sudden surge of power.

Anyway jockster just use common sense, drive it like a diesel not a skyline, like I said use low range so your not sitting in a gear thats to low or to high for the motor that way you can keep it chugging along in the meat of the torque.

edit: power and torque are two totally different things though, power being a function of torque times the rate at which the drive shaft is turning.

Last edited:
Hey man I used to have a d22 and would just drive around in hi. Any climbs i would put in low I would be changing up to third to get enough speed. I have a d40 now and for some of the climbs I had to change to 4th gear(in low range) to get up some as it maxed out quicker. I found 2nd gear hi made it easier for most. Hope that helps

Back