low range first gear noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi Can anyone suggest what might be the problem? On the weekend I was going down steep hills in low range 1st gear (05 D22 ) A loud sort of grating sound that was only there when under load letting the car hold its speed .It only made this noise every time under load going down steep hills.no noise going up in low range .Someone in club suggested it might be CV joint that may be worn but only makes noise when load is applied while holding car back. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

I don't know exactly what the sound is - a drive train noise should be present in both directions, you'd think.

When driving, the transfer chain is under tension on one side and it's relaxed on the other. When engine-braking, that flips - so it's possible your transfer chain is responsible for it.

Also, check that the hubs were fully engaged. Other than that, get the CVs checked as suggested.

gday crusty. I have the exact same problem. I suspect it is transfer case related (possibly the chain as this seems to be a common failure) as it does not do it in 2WD with hubs engaged or disengaged. I haven't investigated it thouroughly as of yet, let us all know what you find.

I am going to take a 4x4 mechanic down some hills next Friday will let you know what we find and what we have to do to fix it when we do work it out , I will let him know what you have said.

Latest posts

Back