Low range towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robonav

Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie question.
Bought myself a very nice 2010 D40 Navara a week ago. Very happy with it so far.
I have to tow a 1400kg caravan up a 30m long steepish driveway with a left turn onto the street at the top. The few times I did it in my patrol, which had manual hubs, I left the front hubs unlocked and put it in 4L. This avoided the diffs binding at the top when I turned hard left.
Question is what is the best way to go about it in the navara?

avoid the sharp turn at the end , unless its a grass or stone surface . Also sometimes to get it out of 4WD you reverse for a bit.

Welcome to the forum.

The D40 doesn't have a disengageable front axle so it's a dilemma for D40 owners.

If possible, use 4LO in a straight line and return to 2HI before the turn. If the turn is on the steep section, I don't envy the clutch/flywheel if it's a manual. Many D40s had dual mass flywheels that have relatively thin clutch faces which are unable to shed heat quickly. They heat up very fast, then burn the clutches and damage the springs in the pressure plate.

Thanks for the advice guys. Luckily I still have my patrol so I'll pull it out with that this time. I can do it with the navara another time when I know it better.

Latest posts

Back