Low sulphur diesel and additives

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sundowner2

Reaction score
There has been some discussion recently on ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel), in particular the fact that due to the Greenies Australian diesel now has the lowest sulphur content (10 ppm) in the western world...now sulphur, in conjunction with other chemicals acts as a lubricant, remove it and the lubricity of diesel is also reduced, oil companies are supposed to install additives into diesel fuel to compensate but they are expensive and how can we be sure they are doing the right thing?...one way round might be to stick your own additive in but which one, if any?.
Anyone use a diesel lubricity additive?, note that I am not talking about the so called 'Injector cleaners' 'cos in my opinion they are like snake oil, costly and pretty much ineffective.

As time goes on things change. I'm not a mechinc so I can't really explain the ins and outs of it. But with Diesel having less and less Sulphur car makes have had to change there design of the engines. Like when petrol stopped have lead added. We got unleaded cars. You can't really have an UnSulphur Diesel but you can reduse the need for Sulphur.

2 stroke mix if you wanted to be pedantic?

I want to see someone do that to there D40..... Bound to cause problems sowhere. Go to nissan. Somethings wrong with my car. Test fuel well it looks a little oily to me.

If chucks a hissy fit with 7/11 fuel then I'd love to see and 2 stroke mix.

I want to see someone do that to there D40..... Bound to cause problems sowhere. Go to nissan. Somethings wrong with my car. Test fuel well it looks a little oily to me.

If chucks a hissy fit with 7/11 fuel then I'd love to see and 2 stroke mix.

Done it. Happy to do it again, too - and am thinking of superdosing one of my next tankfuls (300ml in 150L).

Done it. Happy to do it again, too - and am thinking of superdosing one of my next tankfuls (300ml in 150L).

I guess with the YD25 like ours you could but still 300ml to 150L isn't alot, wouldnt try it on the 550 as they come of a place where diesel engineing have been running on low since early 2000. I just see some dumb ass doing 2lt in their 80lt tank.... I've seen it so offen on this and other fourms. Someone looking for help whom wouldn't know a dip stick from a dildo and a smart ass giving them an awser with out braking it down to detail. I can see someone reading this post and seeing your 300ml to 150lts not thinking that you have a bigger tank and trying that to their 80lt.

There has been some discussion recently on ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel), in particular the fact that due to the Greenies Australian diesel now has the lowest sulphur content (10 ppm) in the western world...now sulphur, in conjunction with other chemicals acts as a lubricant, remove it and the lubricity of diesel is also reduced, oil companies are supposed to install additives into diesel fuel to compensate but they are expensive and how can we be sure they are doing the right thing?...one way round might be to stick your own additive in but which one, if any?.
Anyone use a diesel lubricity additive?, note that I am not talking about the so called 'Injector cleaners' 'cos in my opinion they are like snake oil, costly and pretty much ineffective.

Here's 74 pages of reading for you!http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?highlight=oil

i run my nav on JET a1 that i get from work , jet a1 is essentially kerosene, it has less lubricity than diesel, and different burn characteristics, i add a little 2 stroke every tank about 300 ml or so, (sometimes i forget or am out of 2stroke and run it dry)

due to this difference in burn characteristics the truck sounds more diesely, has a little less noticeable power and torque (definetly notice when towing), but put some diesel in er and she's back to normal. i have been doing this for two years now and there hasn't been a problem for the mostly around town driving i do

putting this into perspective - aircraft high pressure fuel pumps (think common rail injector pump here) run at similar or higher pressures to the nav with no oil added and they can run for years.(i have seen fuel rail pressures of 22000 psi on my nav with the torque app) the aircraft pumps i am thinking of are gear type pumps, i have no idea what kind of pump the injector pump on the nav is

so i think low sulpher diesel isn't going to be a problem, but if you feel the need to put additives in your fuel such as 2 stroke, go for it, just remember what your weed wacker looks like when all the dribbled fuel evaporates, so you won't need too much oil,

i am also told that a our cars will run quite happily on biodeisel quite happily, you know the 'refined' deep frier oil, that is basically just filtered, although i haven't tried it

Last edited:
I followed this issue up with the RACQ technical department today....their thoughts are that the ULSD situation is indeed similar to the unleaded petrol situation of years ago....petrol companies added chemicals to improve lubricity that was reduced when the lead went....sure you can add additives if you want but mostly that will just add to the cost of motoring...their (RACQ's) main concern is diesel fuel quality, they suggest that if you do run a modern common rail donk, like a Navara, do what you can to avoid buying fuel from an outlet that has low turnover...Farmer Browns 500 gal tank he keeps for his header for instance, also absolutely imperative to ensure filters are maintained.
Finally they suggest you never, ever, use a bio-fuel or any additives designed for a petroleum engine in your CRD.
It appears that all the oil companies do already add what is needed and there is no need to worry about that.

Latest posts

Back