malfunction indicator light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevilled22

Reaction score
Hi Guys I have a 02 D22 STR 3ltr I have had some problems with it and have put new turbo and injectors in and then found out the injector pump was cactus so replaced that (not cheap exercise) had tank taken out and cleaned,now the MIL still keeps coming on for what seems like no reason. The mechanic thinks it may have something to do with either earthing issues or the fact that they are not fitting genuine fuel filters, Any ides please i am just about ready to buy some petrol and matches. Thanks in advance

what is the MIL ?
is it throwing any fault codes?
is it running at all??
bit more info will be helpful

Sorry, MIL is my abbreviation for malfunction indicator light and yes the car is running and if i remember correctly the mechanic said that it keeps throwing up a code relating to a drop in fuel pressure which is baffling him as he fitted the reco injector pump the light is flashing as if there is water in the fuel which there cannot be and i drove the car for 115 ks @110 kmh before the light came on the next day i started the car and within a few seconds the light was on I am wondering if it is possible could the water sensor be faulty and or the filter housing have a crack/hole in it?

It's possibly just a dodgy electrical connection, and fixing those - while boring and annoying - is also dirt cheap.

First find the negative lead (call it "earth") from the battery to the engine and make sure BOTH ends are on tight and they're clean.

Then find the earth for the ECU and clean it. Unplug the ECU and plug it back in again a couple of times to get all the contacts cleaned.

Open the fuse box and start pulling fuses out, reinsert them - repeat a couple of times to make sure any oxidisation film has been removed.

Now start doing relays (although I think the D22 might not use relays for those components, but when you're on a good thing stick to it!).

Finally, do the connectors on each injector, then the sensors (MAPS too, go on, might as well).

Once you're done, there's one thing you'll know for certain: it's not going to be an electrical connection issue.

If that didn't fix the problem then it's possible that your water sensor or fuel filter housing might be broken, but at least at this point you wouldn't have spent any cash, especially if you later find out that it wasn't a water sensor but just a dirty electrical connection!

Thanks for the ideas when i get the car back from the mechanic, if it is still playing up and before i buy the petrol and matches i will try your suggestions thanks very much guys

I dont know what the code is i will ask mechanic tomorrow when i speak to him, there is a way to find out the codes without a reader or whatever it is but i cannot find out how to do it or where i need to look

Latest posts

Back