Man or mouse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boo Boo

Reaction score
Ok fellas here it is mother of all questions I have a 2006 D40 and looking at doing some mods. Now I have general motor knowledge nothing too special but can get by in the garage with most things. I want to know am I being a mouse by paying for basic installs such as under body gaurds etc.? ? ? ?

Ok fellas here it is mother of all questions I have a 2006 D40 and looking at doing some mods. Now I have general motor knowledge nothing too special but can get by in the garage with most things. I want to know am I being a mouse by paying for basic installs such as under body gaurds etc.? ? ? ?

Yep you've tagged yourself appropriately IMHO. I won't touch the engine and auto trans but everything else I am prepared to have a go at.

i agree with Pete ...

Boo Boo .... have a go yourself. I really like tinkering and playing with all the add-ons or bolt ons, but i wont touch anything mechanical.

Personally I think if you don't want to do a thing, you should have the right to pay someone else to do it. You're sharing the wealth that way, helping the economy, assisting your fellow countrymen ... the list goes on.

I'd fully expect some smarty to come in here and mention that you also have the advantage of not breaking a nail ... I'll let you think up a suitable retort.

No you just break the mechanical bits. :ha:

As opposed to me who can fix them but chooses not to break them in the first place.

Thats just becuase you too SOFT, and scared to take the 4wd off road to see what its actually capable off. :rock:

Yep I wrap it in blankets every night so that the creepy crawlies don't step on the paint work when I'm not around to stop them, I don't take it outside if it looks like rain and I've plumbed the air conditioner into the garage to keep the temp at a constant 22 degrees to keep the car warm.

I've got reasons (I mean excuses) on why to pay someone else to do it! But I do keep coming back to doing it myself! Was interesting to see if I'd get many bites and cop the stick I deserve! Good to see there are people out there still giving it a go! Just interesting to see the general consensus of people paying for installs rather than the good old carton of beer for the mate that comes to help you out!

I sit on the fence on that one, if it is nice and easy I do it myself, If it is going to take me all weekend to do something an expert with the right gear can do in half a day then there is no question, I will get it installed. I hate anything electrical or 12v so I either pay someone or take it to Jason lol.

Only things I hate doing are diff and transmission rebuilds. I find everything else is easy as long as you have the right tools and a good work area.

If your trying to fit underbody guards and you don't have a decent trolley jack and some chassis stands then you could be for a bit of a unnecessary thrash for the sake of $100 or so.

My suspesion i had fitted because at the time i didn't have the time.
Did bash plates myself with wheel ramps and a trolley jack and after a over the top quote(imo) for a dual battery set up i had a crack myself.
I saved a heap of $ and ended up with a better set up I ran sockets to the rear of the tub and into the cab,all cables protected with conduit and tucked up out of the way.If something goes wrong i know where to look.
Gave me a heap of confidence to have a crack at other things,work lights under the top of the sport bar are next and i know exactly how i'm going to do it,and i know it will be done proper.
Research and advice from guys on this forum got me through.
:cheers!:

I agree with the comments already made. Read up and ask questions, the guys one here are very helpfull, and incredibly generous with their time and knowledge. Apart from the $ saved, and the pride in DIY, you will learn things that just might save your bacon if you break down in the bush. Just my thoughts.

No harm in giving it a go as stated - best to have a mate come over to help with the offer of a slab of beer (i know a few who will offer to be your mate just for the slab of beer ...)

Only things I hate doing are diff and transmission rebuilds. I find everything else is easy as long as you have the right tools and a good work area.
Jas, but i heard you do the diff's single handed .... LOL

Underbody guards - sure - do them yourself. Although I took my transfer case guard in when having a service done and they fitted it for zip. Fitted the sump guard myself.

I reckon have a go if you are confident - but I certainly get most things done by a professional or good backyard mechanic/mate that I trust - cause I reckon you look like a goose if you do it yourself and it fails when you need it most!

Horses for courses - what works for some may not work for another.

Last edited:
on my hilux i had i did everything from wiring up 6spotties to pulling the motor and diffs out. this is with very basic mechanical knowledge but i knew if i broke something parts were cheeap and relativly easy to fix. with the nav tho ive done a couple simple things but anything mechanical is left to the experts. im debating wether ill install the bullbar myself tho because of airbags.

Ok so as I'm just starting out with it all, what has been the easiest or hardest mod the diy blokes have come across??? Or for the people that payed for installs the best worst?

Mate, I'm a nuffy when it comes to mechanical stuff but I follow instructions pretty well. So if I have or can find instructions I'll read through them and see if I have the skills/tools to do it PROPERLY. If not ask for help or take it somewhere. As ridgie said, horses for courses (or causes I'm not sure what he said!). I take great pleasure in doing stuff myself where possible, snorkel was the hardest I've done do far, as I said, in mechanically spastic and it's came up top dollar!

Washing it has definitely been the hardest part, it's been washed twice in 18 months....but the blanket protects it a fair bit.

There is certainly a pride in being able to do it yourself, just need to make sure it's done right. I got slack with a stereo install in our other car so every time we turn the car off the stereo resets and is a pain in the butt. Finally got the motivation to fix it in the next week. I will certainly give bash plates, recovery points and that sort of stuff a crack.

snorkel was the hardest I've done do far

How was fitting the snorkel? I thought it looked to hard especially fiddling within the engine. If it wasn't too bad I might give it a crack, save $200 which I really don't have. Can't afford one now but will in the near future.

Tiburn, there's a few threads kickin around on it. Not sure how different tours would be to my 3.0 d22? It's not actually hard, Nissan instructions were very thorough and it came with all parts needed, even rust protecting stuff. It's quite fiddly, gotta be patient, and takes a reasonable sized pair of cohones to cut the hole!
Do it mate, get some snorkel prices, and if you like Nissan one even try more than one dealership, then stick it in yourself, research on here and if not sure ask heaps if questions on here and anyone else you can think of, I'd do it again happily, and as I said I'm a nuffy... seriously! I'm on a tight budget so am learning very quickly!

Back