Metallic clinking noise at idle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clugo

Reaction score
Good day all. got my d22 bout 1 month ago from a used car yard. I would just like to say here as much as it pains me I did neglect to check the oil/s and suspension when I picked it up but I figured it would be cool. I pulled into repco today and the engine started to make the clinking noise but only at idle, I then checked the dipstick, and when to panic mode there was no oil on the stick. Luckily I was at Repco to get some HPR 15w50. I limped home and checked the oil again and it showed full on the stick so I’m thinking maybe I was on a bit of a lean before, but the nosie is still there can anyone help?

Was it getting hot on the temp guage? How many Kms on it? Any idea on how long since the last service? Any oil leaks?

There is normally a bit of a rattly sound at idle, maybe it's the EGR?

no the temp didn't move. its done 155,000 k's and as far as i can tell there is no leak.
its a loud clinking easily heard over the engine at first i though it was something bouncing of the motor into the chassis.

I remember reading ages ago that a engine only needs like 1 litre or something oil.

Personally I wouldn't try it but I wouldn't worry to much if it took a litre.

Just hope its not burning the oil.

Good luck.

Dave.

Try putting a litre in your lawn mower engine :smile:

As much as I wouldn't try it myself I have seen cars where oil hasn't registered on the dipstick, most of the time it's been a case of the owner neglecting it and it's just an off chance the oil gets checked but I do remember one time that a guy I knew drove 160ks, parked then left the car for a few hours before doing an oil change and dropped less than a litre out of the sump of a 302 Falcon. There was no oil leaks and he reckons he checked the oil 2 days before, we still to this day aren't sure what he checked it with but we suspect it was ESP.

Could you get a litre of oil in a lawn mower sump ?

He checked the ESP ?

I remember the XD and XE Falcons had a ESP model.

That what your refering to ?

Dave.

He checked with ESP Extra Sensory Perception because if the thing was full 2 days previous and there was no leaks and no plumes of black smoke and 2 days later there was less than a litre in it we reckon the only way he was checking it was mind power.

I do think Krafty meant "Extra Sensory Perception".

If the noise is happening at idle, it COULD be the EGR, but it would be faulty as the EGR is supposed to be closed at idle (and at full throttle). There's a plug on the side of the EGR assembly - unplug it. Start the car. The "Check Engine Light" should appear because the EGR valve is malfunctioning (well DUH, it's unplugged) - but check to see if you hear the noise. If there's no noise, reconnect the EGR, fashion a new gasket out of stainless steel for the EGR tube coming from the exhaust and accidentally forget to include the big hole in the middle. End of EGR.

Might also pay to listen to the cam area. If the noise is coming from up top, might be a valve shim issue or even a valve.

It might be just an idler pulley or something too - you'd really need to pop the bonnet and give us an indication of where this noise is coming from.

Latest posts

Back