Mod boost sensor?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icuimp

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Looking for a way to stop my D22 going into limp mode when running 20 PSI boost.

Any easy ways to mod the sensor so it doesn't detect boost above 15PSI?

An electrical shunt or something along those lines perhaps?

boost cut defenders are common enough. both electrical and mechanical version.

i'm more interested in what you have done to the engine?
what engine is it, turbo, intercooler chip etc.

btw when it goes into limp mode what code do you get?

Zd30. 3' exhaust. Chip express chip, forefront turbo. No intercooler as yet. Haven't had the time to fit it as yet.

Haven't read the code but it does what is described elsewhere. Loss of power until lifting foot. No engine light.

i would drop the boost down to 15psi.
the increase in intake heat plus the extra fuel, blowing pistons is a very real possibility.
15 psi is generally more than enough unless your egt's are very very high. even then i would wind down the fuel.

i would intercool way before winding up the boost.

Wasn't the answer I was looking for...

Oh and I can drop to 15. With my current mods 18 is as low as it goes.

not really a solution.
but have you thought to just run a lower boost the ecu is happy with until you get an intercooler sorted?

might buy you time to fix the issue.

as you have a chip, can you contact the manufacture to find out what would better work in your scenario?
is the ecu limiting power or is the sensor running out of range? does it have a replacement thats can see 20psi?

Wasn't the answer I was looking for...

Oh and I can drop to 15. With my current mods 18 is as low as it goes.

seems unreasonably high.
even if you DC the actuator from the turbine waste-gate flap, so its always open?

Plus if I was to play with the wastegatw actuator the way you are saying will cause it to not open at all going into an extreme elev of boost.

is the ecu limiting power or is the sensor running out of range? does it have a replacement thats can see 20psi?
thats a good point. had a quick look in the manual and it looks like max boost for the sensor is about 21psi. (36.75 absolute)

It is. Why adjust it though? Extra boost isn't going to cause problems unless it falls outside its efficency.

Seeing as most people seem to say the stock is good to around 18 I see no reason why a turbo of high quality/better materials such as forefronts to be limited to stock levels.

I only want 20 psi. Geez... Not like I'm asking for 25 or even 22!

Anyway... Tweaked first reply gave me the hint needed to find what I want. Couldn't figure out what they were actually called. One FCD from turbosmart ordered.

the reason behind it is that stock boost is more than enough power wise even when chipped.
there is not many engines around that run that much boost without an intercooler.
inlet temps start becoming an issue. the zd30 is nicknamed the grenade for a reason.

even seen the bullet proof TD42 melt pistons even with low EGT's. part of that was high boost no IC. you can't adjust the timing on the ZD30 to account for inlet temps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the zd30 don't have a limp mode...? No engine light coming on? Doubt it's throwing any fault codes.

I run basically identical mods. Egr blank. 3"exhaust. Chip express chip, front mount and boost controller running 18psi. I've run 20-21 without issue.

What setting you running your chip at?

You mentioned loss of power until you lift your foot. Does that mean the power comes back once you back off???

Maybe you have a throttle position sensor problem???

Full power can be restored by lift the foot then applying again.

Oh and tweake. Your list defies logic.

A more efficient turbo can push more air without increasing inlet temps. I am NOT running a stock turbo. An extra 2 psi over what a stock can do Max should not be a problem.

Full power can be restored by lift the foot then applying again.

Oh and tweake. Your list defies logic.

A more efficient turbo can push more air without increasing inlet temps. I am NOT running a stock turbo. An extra 2 psi over what a stock can do Max should not be a problem.

who said it was more efficient?
got any data on that? i wouldn't mind seeing what the intake temps are with stock vers aftermarket.

if it was intercooled 30+psi no problem but not intercooled the risk factor goes up.

From what it sounds your issue isn't turbo related. I can't see why running 20psi would be a problem. Plenty of blokes have done it. More risky without an intercooler than anything.

I think it maybe the tune on whatever setting your running on your chip. I had a shocking flat spot from 2600rpm to 3100rpm when I was playing around with my chip settings. I found the lower settings and more boost worked better.

Or like I mentioned your throttle position sensor maybe a bit iffy. Try let it idle for 10mins it'll reset your throttle position.

Back