Most annoying ticking noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, will attach videos of my 2010 thai D40 yd25 making a horrible ticking noise. I'm thinking injectors but perhaps I'm wrong?
Had a noisy idler pulley that ticked and I replaced that thinking it was the only issue but alas no. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated before it goes to the dump, I mean shop.
Thanks in advance 🙏🍻

Hey guys, will attach videos of my 2010 thai D40 yd25 making a horrible ticking noise. I'm thinking injectors but perhaps I'm wrong?
Had a noisy idler pulley that ticked and I replaced that thinking it was the only issue but alas no. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated before it goes to the dump, I mean shop.
Thanks in advance 🙏🍻
View attachment 37447
View attachment 37448

Bang noise in 1st video is not the ute

I'd put a mechanic's stethoscope to the timing chain housing and listen in there. It could be the chains slapping on the tensioners, which isn't a great thing as it stretches the chain and causes chain and sprocket damage (and chain failure = engine failure).

Well it's definitely not the chains, had that checked today. Will be delving into it a bit deeper over next week or so. Seems to be coming from injector area towards back of engine. Unfortunately I've only had it a few months so don't know it's history.
It's not high k's at 160 thou so I may try putting an injector cleaner through to see if that makes any difference

Just thought I'd update you all
I removed the injectors and had them tested (results were good) and then decided I'd fit a double row timing chain too. Put it back together and noise was still there. Have narrowed it down to a valve as realised it was popping in airbox too, so currently stripping head off to sort.
Bit of a mission but has been great as means I can do everything else at same time. I had blocked EGR but will do a complete delete while everything is apart
It's certainly the worst vehicle I've worked on with access to everything but will be a trustworthy workhorse when I'm done- fingers crossed 🤞

Latest posts

Back