Ticking noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zasq

Reaction score
I have a slight ticking noise in the engine bay, it comes from near the turbo area, RX 2010 Manual 10k on clock. Im thinking either noisy injector or SCV, the car only gets driven once a week, I have Hilux ute I use for work(cant fault the Hilux very reliable)

It won't be your injectors, they're on the right-hand side of the engine. The left-hand side has exhaust manifold, glow plugs, turbocharger, turbocharger actuator, alternator.

At 10,000km I doubt it's timing chain or its tensioner.

My guess would be to look for black sooty spray marks around the EGR pipe. This starts just forward of the turbocharger's turbine inlet (rear of the exhaust manifold) and runs around the front of the motor. If a weld has cracked, or the gasket has given way, this will make noises.

Get someone to lightly rev the motor while you watch the little arm inside the turbocharger actuator (central in the picture below). The arm should move in and out but nothing dramatic.

2529.jpg

Just took of plastic cover over motor, noise seems to be coming from middle of motor, its only a slight metal ticking noise, must just be the D40 motor.

I have own diesel utes for over15 years and they all have there own sound.

What do you think of Castrol Magnatec Diesel? I have no DPF.

If it's designed for diesels then it can't be too bad for them. I don't mind Castrol as a company, I prefer its 2-stroke oil over Valvoline (you know what I mean) but I also don't have a problem with the fully synthetics which I prefer in my vehicle but that's because I have a DPF.

I have this problem too, Well mine is very noticiable when crusing.
sounds like the tappets to me.. Under load and on boost sounds gone, but when cruiseing it ticks its arse off.

any suggestions?

anyone got the specs for the tappets clearences so i can cheack em??

2010 st diesel

I have this problem too, Well mine is very noticiable when crusing.
sounds like the tappets to me.. Under load and on boost sounds gone, but when cruiseing it ticks its arse off.

any suggestions?

anyone got the specs for the tappets clearences so i can cheack em??

2010 st diesel

Take it to nissan, sounds like the hydraulic line infront of your steering wheel under the bonnet. Mines usually at revs though. 2-3k

Latest posts

Back