motor blowing smoke missing when cold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin

Reaction score
hi and all the best for the new yr people,i'm having problems with my d22 2005 3ltr turbo diesel ,when started from a cold start ,it blows heaps of smoke and seams like its misssing a beat?i have changed fuel fiter air cleaner,added inj.cleaner,all the normal servicing moves,but still smokes and missing on cold start ,its seams a bit under powered in the top end range aswell,140 km per hour max speed,could sumone tell me what a standered d22 3 ltr turbos top speed may be?i use to drive a hilux 3 ltr turbo 2006 mod,and i use to back it off around 180 kms,not into speeding,but it is got to get around road trains quicker the better cheers:cheers!:

Id say its your glow plugs are rooted or the coolent temp is playing up.

I have had my Navara to 160km/h.

Dave.

thanks dave, i have been told it might be either glow plug or injestors?i will try the glow plugs first as thay are the cheaper then injectors,just thought id'e threw it out there to see if anybody has had the same problem ,cheers again

i always thought the glow plugs were just powered till the glow plug light goes off,i know there is no power going to them after engine has started

I haven't checked the glow plugs myself but I remember someone saying on here that they semi run while the engine is cold.

Glow plugs are cheap, thats where Id start anyway.

Get Japan made glow plugs, you dont wanna go cheap as dont forget the tips are in the combustion chamber.

Dave.

first thing is what colour smoke is it making?

glows run untill engine is warmed up or up to 20 minutes (so try not to leave ignition on for a long time when cold)
good thread on patrol4x4 forum as a few are finding the glows have broken the tips off inside the motor.

gidday,still same problem after fitting new glow plugs?spose i will be pulling out the injectors,check em out,any more things i could try befor i start looking at pulling head off??smoke looks whiteish,cheers

white smoke when cold is typically glow plugs.

make sure they have power to them. if glows and glow circut are ok then possible mechanic problem. could be a few things from leaking oil out of the turbo to low compression (rings cracked piston etc).

cheers tweak'e,just got injectors out and with get em checked out this week,i have been told that sum zd30 motors had a problem with the 4th piston wearing quickly,or rings ,if injectors are ok will be check'in out head next,keep you posted .

f...in over this navara crap,just spent over $2000 on new injectors,2 were knacked,changed all 4,@ $485+gst,and still doing the same thing,not as bad but still lacking power,i've been driving a hilux with a non-turbo 3 ltr diesel,pulls as good as my nissan piece of shit,next is to check compression,got told its proberly a piston/rings problem,for a diesel with 140,000 on the clock this is a real piece of crap motor,will be looking at trading it in on a 3ltr turbo hilux with the 1 kz motor,heaps better motor and handles better ,you can't tell me any diffrent,reading up on all those problems with navaras,wish i'de read them before buying this shit box ,anyway will be throwing a few mors thousand to see what the problem is ,WARNING DON'T BUY A NISSAN NAVARA

Each to there own, If your having a bad run with it sorry to hear. Best thing i did was get rid of my 2.8 hilux.

sorry to hear of your problems

however without knowing things like what colour smoke it blows its kinda hard to fault find.
more detail you can provide the better.

it still should be quicker than a 1kz hilux !

never heard of 4th piston wearing quicker. have heard of a few worn bores fairly quickly but thats generally from poor maintenance.
one very common problem with a lot of diesels is sucking air into the fuel lines. that can cause starting problems and low power.

Back