D40 Blowing White Smoke on Start-up only

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auz1234

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Apologies if I have started a topic which has already been covered elsewhere but I had a good looking through and used the search Forum function and couldn't find anything with the same potential issue, some seem quite close but nothing exactly spot on.

Recently my D40 has been blowing white smoke on start up only first thing in the morning, particularly when its cold. the car will crack for about 3-4 times then start, puff some white smoke with smells like diesel then be perfect, doesn't idle funny or rough, the smoke it quite thick as well meaning without any wind around at the time it will sit and not raise or anything . I haven't changed anything engine wise in regards to modifications or anything so just want to see whether its cause for concern or just something that happens on a cold day?

Any info or ideas would help thanks again.

I wonder if the glows are working properly? Check the glow relay (up against the side wall behind the battery, it's a pig to get to). We've had one person on this forum provide photos of their nearly melted glow relay! IMO it should be 60A or higher, I think the OEM unit is 40A.

A dirty MAFS could do it too, but you'd expect it to do blow smoke all the time (and MAFS faults usually cause black smoke, but on startup it could be white).

There might be an injector issue, resolved by the heat (for now) and the same could be said for the FRP sensor. Hope it's not the latter.

There's some inexpensive things to look at and the dreaded one, although a Liqui-Moly Diesel Purge might put the injectors to rights too.

All sorted now, if I turn the ignition on without cracking just for a few seconds so all the dash lights up etc, it doesn't blow any white smoke, mostly likely just giving it a sec to wake up and glow etc

All sorted now, if I turn the ignition on without cracking just for a few seconds so all the dash lights up etc, it doesn't blow any white smoke, mostly likely just giving it a sec to wake up and glow etc

Should be doing this anyway shouldn't you? especially on cold mornings. I don't have a newer navara but id assume it still has a glow plug indicator

I wait until the Glow indicator goes off before starting up. The time from Glow on to off varies with the temp of the engine. At the moment with morning temps around 12 degrees, it takes about 5-6 seconds. Will be interesting to see how long it takes down at the snow this winter (first time going to the snow in a diesel vehicle.)

Dex

Latest posts

Back