Motorbikes!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm had a look at the suzuki gs500f today...and it is not much more expensive then the 250's...though right on my limit.

I hate researching, makes me realise more stuff.

have you considered a supermotard,
just dont expect to keep your license.... they are so much fun though

i love riding my trail bike on the road (its road registered, not rec). but it does tempt you to do silly silly things (like go straight through roundabouts or use the median strip to overtake...... wait this is a 4x4 forum.. you guys would never do that :rolleyes: - though maybe you guys dont use pedestrian bridges:p or get through barricades/boomgates)

Last edited:
Super motards do not interest me...in the slightest!

I'm now starting to lean back towards the ninja 250. I looked up as big as the 650's but most are restricted, ad it appears that un-restricting them, while possible, is not necessarily legal.

Going to the bike shops tomorrow to have a look around and see what they have and what they want for what they have.

G'day

Just chasing from people who they are insured with for their motor cycles, as well as opinions on the following bikes.

Am looking at either the kawasaki ninja 250R, Honda CBR250, or the yamaha YZF-R15.

I know that the yammie is smaller, but it is also cheap hence why i am considering it. I have always liked the ninja's...infact have always LOVED the ninja's. The honda looks good too, but i was wondering people opinions on the three.

Cheers
Mitch

Hey Mitch , mate regarding your question on insurance I ride KTM's and my main bike is a Suzuki 1000 v-strom all insured with NRMA , had a couple of big off's in the last few years , with NRMA no problems with paying up to fix me and the bikes.

Hmm had a look at the suzuki gs500f today...and it is not much more expensive then the 250's...though right on my limit.

I hate researching, makes me realise more stuff.

Remember to allow enough money to buy all your gear (if you haven't already) So many people stretch their budget and end up buying a helmet and gloves then wait for some more cash.
I consider it like wearing a seat belt, you never know when you're going to need it.

One more tip i give people is unless you are going to do 10,000's of k's on your L/P's just buy a second hand bike, that way when/if it gets damaged it won't hurt as much and when it comes time to sell it, you will/should get approx what you paid for it. Don't worry about power because there will always be someone faster. Just enjoy it and learn your craft and save that extra cash for your first upgrade to a 600/1000 cc.
Rubber side down :)

bad news guys, i got the d21 - so ill be sticking around (will post in the welcome thread when i pick it up monday)

i understand your views on supermotards they arent for everyone,
im the same with with motocross have no intention of jumping bikes (which is annoying when all your co-workers race motocross including your boss) and im yet to try it, but i want to ride as many different styles as possible. im not a fast rider so id rather be a technical one.

anyway,

as above keep in mind gear,
a good helmet is $600 (yes there is cheaper, but how much do you value your brain.) a good helmet will have a composite shell. this is stronger but more importantly lighter. they are a much more comfortable helmet to wear, especially on longer rides. and the visability is also usually better. be sure to budget another $80 for a tinted visor - or $120 for good riding sunnies (i recomend ugly fish for the 3 lense pack and replacable arms and gaskets) and another $40ish for a face mask or an anti-fog screen.

as before $300ish for a good jacket - i recomend a mesh type with removable liner, as its the most versatile and the coolest jacket in summer. (heat wise not looks)

a good pair of kevlar jeans will suffice, draggins/hornee's what ever your style. not shure on the price of these (i get mine from a different source.... however there is a guy on netrider.com called takami he sells hoigh quality kevlars for $120)

boots, a good pair of boots is recomend. make shure they have ankle protection. however you can get away with some sturdy leather safety boots.

gloves. for a firts time rider get some thin summer gloves, much better throttle feel. however make shure it has protection, the palm should be thicker with some hard protection on the knuckles. prices on gloves vary alot.... but as with most gear the price usually reflects qaulity.

bad news guys, i got the d21 - so ill be sticking around (will post in the welcome thread when i pick it up monday)

i understand your views on supermotards they arent for everyone,
im the same with with motocross have no intention of jumping bikes (which is annoying when all your co-workers race motocross including your boss) and im yet to try it, but i want to ride as many different styles as possible. im not a fast rider so id rather be a technical one.

anyway,

as above keep in mind gear,
a good helmet is $600 (yes there is cheaper, but how much do you value your brain.) a good helmet will have a composite shell. this is stronger but more importantly lighter. they are a much more comfortable helmet to wear, especially on longer rides. and the visability is also usually better. be sure to budget another $80 for a tinted visor - or $120 for good riding sunnies (i recomend ugly fish for the 3 lense pack and replacable arms and gaskets) and another $40ish for a face mask or an anti-fog screen.

as before $300ish for a good jacket - i recomend a mesh type with removable liner, as its the most versatile and the coolest jacket in summer. (heat wise not looks)

a good pair of kevlar jeans will suffice, draggins/hornee's what ever your style. not shure on the price of these (i get mine from a different source.... however there is a guy on netrider.com called takami he sells hoigh quality kevlars for $120)

boots, a good pair of boots is recomend. make shure they have ankle protection. however you can get away with some sturdy leather safety boots.

gloves. for a firts time rider get some thin summer gloves, much better throttle feel. however make shure it has protection, the palm should be thicker with some hard protection on the knuckles. prices on gloves vary alot.... but as with most gear the price usually reflects qaulity.

it is very nice of you to share your wealth of knowledge on equipment and how to ride.......... BUT has Mitch actually asked for all this, or did he simply ask for peoples thoughts on three particular bikes.
Just because he is looking at getting his L's doesn't necessarily mean he knows nothing at all and is in need of the full extended list of info. Fine if he asked, but he may already be aware of the fact that you can buy different quality helmets. Who knows he may already have all the gear.
It just seems a little presumptuous and is coming across as a bit degrading.

No comments required on gear, that is already owned and taken care of.

Three bikes i am looking at:

Ninja 250R

CBR250R

GS500F

Of those the price goes the honda, then the kawasaki, then the suzuki.

As for km i will be doing an average of 400-500km per week on the bike.

At the moment i am leaning towards the ninja. Still not looking to purchase for maybe a month, gotta bump the bank account back up with some OT first.

it is very nice of you to share your wealth of knowledge on equipment and how to ride.......... BUT has Mitch actually asked for all this, or did he simply ask for peoples thoughts on three particular bikes.
Just because he is looking at getting his L's doesn't necessarily mean he knows nothing at all and is in need of the full extended list of info. Fine if he asked, but he may already be aware of the fact that you can buy different quality helmets. Who knows he may already have all the gear.
It just seems a little presumptuous and is coming across as a bit degrading.

fair point, honestly and didnt even think of it that way.
just wanted to supply as much info as i thought would help.
sorry OP if it sounded like i was belittling you. im just used to netrider were the most common new riders are:

why do i need all this gear, i see guys in a singlet and shorts all the time,
why are helmets so expensive, they are $50 at aldi

or the ever fun

ive ridden dirt before, what do you think of an r1 as a first bike, ill respect its power.

looking back i can see you (OP) are a much more intelligent and informed. and im sorry (OP) if ive belittiled you or made you feel uncomfortable,
thst was not my intention.

i just get really exited about bikes, its my passion and what i think of 24/7.

ill finish this with my favourite quote, this is what gut martin says about why he races bikes (but my sentiments are the ssame for bikes in general)
Some lads like going to the pub. Some lads like shagging...well I don't mind it. But different things make different people happy - Guy Martin

Last edited:
Holy crap! Been getting insurance quotes and most want $2400 a year for comprehensive insurance on a $6000 bike! Thinking of just going third party property and fire and theft now!

Holy crap! Been getting insurance quotes and most want $2400 a year for comprehensive insurance on a $6000 bike! Thinking of just going third party property and fire and theft now!

did you look at the excess too, Mine is $1900, but if i renewed it now it would be $1200 as they changed their rates in december (standard excess plus inexperienced rider - less then one year licensed) or in a few months $800 (standard plus under 25), plus any extra you put on to lower your premium.

but i didnt shop around. i needed insurance immediatly as i was picking up the bike. so just went with insuremyride as i could do it instantly online (literally woke up, got insured and went straight to get the bike) and they were meant to be one of the cheapest.

and theft is important, bikes are easy to steal. my policy doesnt cover it (another reason im switching when it expires) so i just park next to harleys or ducatis :p

wait till you see the rego......
at least you dont have the screw bike's levy (in vic we have a levy on the rego to fund an motorcyle safety council...... that no longer exists - and there is no plan from vicroads to remove the fee)

Last edited:
did you look at the excess too, Mine is $1900, but if i renewed it now it would be $1200 as they changed their rates in december (standard excess plus inexperienced rider - less then one year licensed) or in a few months $800 (standard plus under 25), plus any extra you put on to lower your premium.

but i didnt shop around. i needed insurance immediatly as i was picking up the bike. so just went with insuremyride as i could do it instantly online (literally woke up, got insured and went straight to get the bike) and they were meant to be one of the cheapest.

and theft is important, bikes are easy to steal. my policy doesnt cover it (another reason im switching when it expires) so i just park next to harleys or ducatis :p

wait till you see the rego......
at least you dont have the screw bike's levy (in vic we have a levy on the rego to fund an motorcyle safety council...... that no longer exists - and there is no plan from vicroads to remove the fee)

Insure my ride was $2200 per year with a i think $600 excess + age excess. It is only for a $6000 bike so can't justify comprehensive. Just gunna go third party property + theft.

Have a look at swann insurance. I dunno why its so expensive in the eastern states but here in Perth I have comprehensive on mine and its only around $400 odd a year... I was recommended swan by the bike shop also

My insurance is $190 a year on a bike that cost me $9990 new 2 and a half years ago... there aren't many advantages to being over 50 but that's one of them :)

Of course it also helps to have no traffic fines for the last few years (they bump the premium a bit) and license suspensions really hurt premiums.

My problem is i am only 19, and so new to bikes. have had no suspensions or good driving bonds etc.

sometime being young sucks.

So it turns out if i wait for 2 months till i'm 20 then it is about $400 cheaper per year. Might have to just sit tight for a while.

Anyone looking at buying new Honda CTX200? My dad is getting me to sell his , he never rides it. Its complianced and got reg till Jan. 120km on odo (yes thats not a typo) Its a 2006 but apparently the current model is exactly the same. New one is worth $6000 on road. He wants $4500. Hes very fastidious about looking after things and it sits in his workshop under a sheet, but it gets a bit of sawdust on it (hes a carpenter). He gets me to fire it up every few months.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts

Back