Mounting thermo fans

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chule

Reaction score
Hi folks

Anyone got any tips/advice for mounting a thermo fan on an intercooler core? I'm doing a TMIC mod in a few weeks and want to include a 10" fan underneath it to pull air through the core. I've seen a few pictures where the fan is mounted straight onto the bars/fins of the core. This looks the easiest (and most space conservative) method but my concern here would be sustaining damage to the core from friction rubbing and weight of the fan. I'm looking at a Davies Craig slim line 10" fan- only about 1.5kgs.

Thoughts???

Cheers

Hi
The first thing is are you running more than 7 psi as you don't need to cool the air under &psi as you loose more response than is worth the gain. and Why top mount ?
The most efficient way to mount coolers is front mount.

But if you were to mount it i would mount it the same as a radiator.

which ic core are you using and how are you mounting it?

theres a pic of mine on here somewhere. i cant remember the thread, but i had to mount it ontop, wasnt enough room underneath.

Hi
The first thing is are you running more than 7 psi as you don't need to cool the air under &psi as you loose more response than is worth the gain. and Why top mount ?

D22's run about 15psi stock. As for where to mount it, that has been largely debated on here and he didn't ask for fitment ideas.

As for the fan, as long as it is tight on the cooler it will be fine. Plenty of the guys on the patrol forum have mounted fans on their top mount coolers and I never read of any issues in my time there. Also, rusty on here has mounted a fan under his factory top mount intercooler and I believe he took that up to the cape and back without issues.

Bods has it spot on. I have bodylifted my vehicle which allowed me to lift my top mount intercooler also to sit against the rubber seal in scoop on hte bonnet. this then llowed me to mount a Davies Craig slimline 8" fan under the cooler giving me plenty of breathing space. i took mine on the cape trip and had no issues with its mounting or it rubbing through anything. only thing i changed when i got back was i installed small rubber strip between the fan and intercooler to reduce the vibration damage to the core of the intercooler. i had very little marks but i did get damage from over tightening the fan to the core which just squashed a tiny bit of cooler core. this didnt restrict or reduce the cores cooling capabilities.

if anything i was thoroughly impressed with the extra cooling at low range speeds and also thinking about installing a misting sprayer on top to give better abilities of cooling the core down.

Hi

It's maxed out @ 18psi with a manual boost controller. As for why I'm going top mount instead of front mount - personal choice really. I like the idea of having the core up high out of the way. Shorter pipe work, Less lag.

I've seen sticks find their way between bash plates and chassis to puncture radiators. With a thermo fan it still remains relatively functional for slow speed crawling.......and I can fab the whole lot for under $450

Thanks Rusty- that's what I wanted to hear. What sort of rubber stripping did you use?

which ic core are you using and how are you mounting it?

theres a pic of mine on here somewhere. i cant remember the thread, but i had to mount it ontop, wasnt enough room underneath.

Just using a universal core 300x280x70 with 2.5" inlet and outlets. It will be a squeeze next to the 80series air box. I'll have to re-plumb the air box to turbo pipe work to make it all fit.

As for the mounts- not sure if I'll use a similar system the cross country Intercoolers uses or if I'll make up a frame that spans from the fire wall to the front of the body and suspend the core over the motor.

I just went to Clark rubber and got some 25mmx2mm strip and cut it into squares and cut a hole in it for the mounting bolts.

Just using a universal core 300x280x70 with 2.5" inlet and outlets. It will be a squeeze next to the 80series air box. I'll have to re-plumb the air box to turbo pipe work to make it all fit.

As for the mounts- not sure if I'll use a similar system the cross country Intercoolers uses or if I'll make up a frame that spans from the fire wall to the front of the body and suspend the core over the motor.

make sure you throw up some pics of it all.

Latest posts

Back