muddies or all terrains???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us face facts, you have to look at what your are planning on doing with you truck before you can make the decision on what rubber to choose.
If your nav is your daily driver and the most you will do is a bit of sunday or sand driving than a H/T will suit.
If your into touring and weekend camping trips, then a light A/T (dueller,wrangler,ATZ or 5rib) is quite capable.
If you want to have bit of a play while your out camping with the kids then a heavier A/T (bfg,cooper st,or dick ceepec fcII) is more than enough.
But if your into climbing every hill or driving through every ditch, revine and slop infested little bog hole you can find, then go for the muddies every time.

The point I am trying to make is, is that everybodies needs are different and you don't always have to have the biggest rubber to go where 'you' want to, you just need the right ballance of tyre and tyre pressure.

One last option is, that if you don't want to keep wearing out muddies, get another set of rims and keep your tuff tread in the shed until its time to play. A bit of an outlay at first with two sets of tread, but it all pays off in the long run.

Let us face facts, you have to look at what your are planning on doing with you truck before you can make the decision on what rubber to choose.
If your nav is your daily driver and the most you will do is a bit of sunday or sand driving than a H/T will suit.
If your into touring and weekend camping trips, then a light A/T (dueller,wrangler,ATZ or 5rib) is quite capable.
If you want to have bit of a play while your out camping with the kids then a heavier A/T (bfg,cooper st,or dick ceepec fcII) is more than enough.
But if your into climbing every hill or driving through every ditch, revine and slop infested little bog hole you can find, then go for the muddies every time.

The point I am trying to make is, is that everybodies needs are different and you don't always have to have the biggest rubber to go where 'you' want to, you just need the right ballance of tyre and tyre pressure.

One last option is, that if you don't want to keep wearing out muddies, get another set of rims and keep your tuff tread in the shed until its time to play. A bit of an outlay at first with two sets of tread, but it all pays off in the long run.

Very well said and that makes perfect sense to get another set of rims if your gona stick with h/t or a/t, i did that at the start, but it didnt last long as i liked the look of the muddies on the nav.

My everyday tyres are Cooper ST's. Great tyre and handle pretty well.

My play tyres are a set of MTZ's on a set of STR rims I picked up for $300 that had done 2000km's.

Dave.

Well I've just been forced to outlay $1500 25,000km early, after 1 of my Cooper STT's failed!

The tyre developed cracks 30mm long all around the tyre spanning from the sidewall lugs to the sidewall proper!

I was after 5 Goodyear silent armours but they are 6-8weeks away.

So I'm getting 5 BFG AT 265/75 fitted on Thurs

Coopers was only able to offer a $175 (50%) credit to go towards a new tyre

Well I've just been forced to outlay $1500 25,000km early, after 1 of my Cooper STT's failed!

The tyre developed cracks 30mm long all around the tyre spanning from the sidewall lugs to the sidewall proper!

Id be pissed about that.

Never had BFG's but good luck with these.

Dave.

i thought coopers had a 90,000km warranty?

Hey Maddog,

I was told by a tyre guy that Coopers Warranty is almost impossible to acheive. The mileage is all but impossible from what I was told. The tyres have to be balanced and rotated every 10'000 km to get the warranty and they make their money off the rotation and balances throughout the life of the tyres.

I had Cooper HT's and didn't rate them at all I think I wa son track to get around 60,000 out of them before I sold the vehicle with what rubber was left on the tyres.

Cheers,

DJ

muddies all the way i reckon,
they are a better looking tyre.
and alot of muddies these days are giving good km's out of them.
and muddies to at's makes a huge difference when offroad.

i wont buy anything other then muddies. My dailys were MT claws and play tyres were Maxxis mudzillas. Never had dramas the few times i went on sand, mainly in 2wd aswell.
They handle fine onroad as long as you dont think your driving a sports car. Ran two sets as the 35's were bias ply, but the claws were on track to get over 60000.

Il 2nd that, its muddies or nothing, i still get good kays per tank and its not that noticable noise in car and my last set of bf goodrich got 100,000k out of em.
Like you said its not a sports car, so if you drive it like its meant to be driven you wont notice em at all.

I was at the local Maxxis dealer the ather day pricing a set of Bighorns (Ooooh Chunky), when I noticed the MT-753 Bravo. They look like they would be a very good ballance between AT & MT, all at a very reasonable price. But I'm still going the Bighorns, dealer only quoted me $276 for 33x12.5R15 cant beat that for decent rubber!

has any one used the mickey thomson mtz tyres b4.. are they anygood on the sand.

I have MTZ's in 265/75R16 size, just did fraser island trip, had to snatch a couple of people out but we never even looked like getting stuck.
Bit noisey on road but not too bad & they have made me use a bit extra fuel too

I run Mickey T MTZ's. I use them because they have a strong carcass, and when I am hunting a lot of my driving is "off track" - tyres need a strong carcass to handle that kind of terain.

Anyway, they aren't too noisy etc, but a hard braking stop and you know you aren't running road oriented tyres.

A couple of weeks ago is a good example - it was wet, and I was driving along a nice smooth dual lane road. Someone pulled out in front of me and I had to hit the anchors. Felt like the ute was never going to stop! They just don't stop that well - the big tread blocks squirm and carry on.

Don't forget to check out the Dick Cepek FCII's!
I'm going through the same decision process as you guy's at the moment and I think I'll be up for new tyres much sooner than I had planned. Leaning toward the FCII's.

Well in the end I opted for Cooper ST's 265/75/16. Very happy with them on road, good road manners ! Hoping to hit a trail or two on the way to Bunnings in the morning when I go for some whipper snipper cord :big_smile:

Cheers Brad

i;ll definately be going the 2 sets option as i do 1000 k;s every weekend and heading to the mines soon soo even more k;s for me. I;ve got cooper atr's on at the moment but they were part of the deal in buying the car. Highway and sand they been great. Mud bulls and music this year they did alright but like we have all said doesn take much to turn em into slicks.

Latest posts

Back