Muffler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40 Daveo

Reaction score
Gday everyone,

I'm just wondering if there will be any ramifications if I cut out the muffler and replace it with a a straight bit of exhaust pipe? My nav is a 2012 2.5 Spanish build.

Cheers Dave.

none what so ever, it cant be worse then a Full 3" straight through system you buy from allot of well known exhaust businesses.
As soon as i can get my ute into the shop i intend on getting rid of it, the benefits may only be small but as i said it cant hurt.

Gday everyone,

I'm just wondering if there will be any ramifications if I cut out the muffler and replace it with a a straight bit of exhaust pipe? My nav is a 2012 2.5 Spanish build.

Cheers Dave.

Do it :D I don't know much about the D40's but as long as it doesn't have some kind of sensor in the muffler then chop it out. It won't be as loud as you hope haha. Try unbolting the exhaust just before the muffler you wish to take out if you can an see if it's worth getting someone to chop it out for you. I tried it in my D22 and didn't do shit all haha so I just save for the full 3 inch straight through system.

Do it :D I don't know much about the D40's but as long as it doesn't have some kind of sensor in the muffler then chop it out. It won't be as loud as you hope haha. Try unbolting the exhaust just before the muffler you wish to take out if you can an see if it's worth getting someone to chop it out for you. I tried it in my D22 and didn't do shit all haha so I just save for the full 3 inch straight through system.

Personally i wouldnt be doing it for the sound, but i should let the engine breath a little easier then trying to push the exhaust gas through that gigantic muffler.
So from what i have ben told it wont make a massive difference but it does help the turbs spool up a tad quicker.
Oh and there has been quite a few tests done on dyno's that show going from
2&3/4" to 3" systems on the YD engines makes no difference.

Cheers fella, I'm not doing for the noise factor just to let the engine breathe a little easier.

Hey just been to the exhaust shop after I measured up the tail pipe at 68mm and he said that it flared out at theend so I got the incorrect measurement. My wife now has the car at work so I was just wondering what size I would need for the job? I'm going to get it flared out at both ends to fit the existing pipe then clamp it as it would save taking the whole exhaust of to weld it.

Im sure i have seen a "muffler delete pipe" on ebay for $90
I will try and find a link to it for you

I just noticed it says wont suit SPAIN built AUTO's BUT i dont see why that is as the muffler doesnt have anything to do with the DPF.
I would give them a call and check.

OK i just spoke with the guys from the Ebay add and apparently the different models run two different size pipes, SO if you get a measurement of the pipe where it runs over the rear axle they will send the one that suits your vehicle. They just have not changed there add as yet.

Last edited:
Cheers Nathan, $35 for the bit I'm after just need the correct size of the exhaust then I'm sweet.

any pics??
not of you after the "job" it looks like that will be horrible lol, but pics of the pipe would be useful for others.

All done $20 later, not much to it but you can definitely hear the turbo now :jackoff:

Hi D40 Daveo...

After seeing this thread I think I'll do the same to my 2012 ST and just cut off the muffler too.

I'm all for the turbo noise etc but just wondering a couple things:
1. Is the idle any louder or much the same?
2. Is cruising speeds 60/70/80/100km/h louder or does it then make the cabin drone or anything like that?

Cheers,
Simmo

I have an 08 Outlaw SE Nav, includes DPF, basically when getting my 3" DPF back exhaust fitted we removed everything after the DPF, made no difference in sound. Was still extremely quiet.

Removing the DPF if yours is auto is where I would assume the difference in sound would be achievable.

Performance wise after fitting 3" DPF back exhaust....next to none.

The factory cat and DPF are going to be the limiting factors on the exhaust. Remove these and gains should be achieved.

If yours is manual. Lucky you.

I have an 08 Outlaw SE Nav, includes DPF, basically when getting my 3" DPF back exhaust fitted we removed everything after the DPF, made no difference in sound. Was still extremely quiet.

Removing the DPF if yours is auto is where I would assume the difference in sound would be achievable.

Performance wise after fitting 3" DPF back exhaust....next to none.

The factory cat and DPF are going to be the limiting factors on the exhaust. Remove these and gains should be achieved.

If yours is manual. Lucky you.

G'day,
Mine is a 2012 ST auto and from what I can see there is 1 x big ass muffler basically in the middle of the rig and thats it. I can't see a DPF or CAT anywhere... not even right up near the downpipe etc?
Not sure but I vaguely remember reading on here that the 2012 Spanish ST's dont have DPF's...
Better keep digging but thanks for the heads up...
Simmo

Hi D40 Daveo...

After seeing this thread I think I'll do the same to my 2012 ST and just cut off the muffler too.

I'm all for the turbo noise etc but just wondering a couple things:
1. Is the idle any louder or much the same?
2. Is cruising speeds 60/70/80/100km/h louder or does it then make the cabin drone or anything like that?

Cheers,
Simmo

idle is much the same, crusing speeds are the same, when you have your windows dowen you will hear the turbo when you lift off.

Back