MUST READ... Woman Dies from yet another tow ball recovery!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAV80

Reaction score
I dont know how often i see this on fraser Island.... People not taking vehicle recoveries seriously, or just pure lack of knowledge.... Take the time, Pull your tow hitch out and use the hitch pin for a snatch strap if you dont have a proper recovery point... Dont sit it over the ball... My pet hate and It has finally claimed a life in WA

Freak accident with tow ball kills WA mum

Sad to hear. I told a mate not to use the towball for recovery,s, His theory is the towball is rated to 3t it,s all good. When i bought my snatch strap i bought a tow hitch at the same time

His theory is the towball is rated to 3t it,s all good.

thats what most think. what they forget is very rarely does a trailer ever put 3 ton load on it. eg a 45 degree angle hill would only put 1500kg load on it.

also the type of steel and shape of the towball fitting means it snaps off quiet easily.

His theory is the towball is rated to 3t

Next time you see him show him the rating on his snatch strap, then ask him if he wants his weakest point to be the tow ball (as it will be a lot less than the rating on the strap)

You only have to see how many snatch straps break, to see how big the loads are on a snatch out of soft sand, or a puddle of mud that has you sucked down to the diffs.

Of all the safety do's and donts in this world this is one that everyone should heed. I was shocked to see a vehicle owned and driven by a well known 4x4 business out this way doing it to retrieve vehicles stuck in a sodden carpark at a competition.
BravoBrad makes the situation perfectly clear ^^^^

Latest posts

Back