My D40 Outlaw ...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveHAT

Reaction score
Hi all,

Another Newcastle based member just joined up saying hi.

This is our 08 Navara OUTLAW ... purchased with most of the "like to have" parts already fitted. It's a 6 speed diesel with the usual OUTLAW mid life crisis bits fitted & we were lucky enough to score it with IRONMAN 50ml lift, IPF spotties, GME UHF, tint, tubliner, Nissan mats etc already on board.

All I've done is install some airhorns in true "man in his 40s" style. :rofl2:

I'm learning my way around the quirks that come with owning a D40 & amazed at how such shitty components can be fitted to such nice utes i.e. Steering wheel peeling & worn gearknob with missing shift pattern.

Very happy with it despite the few short comings as it's by far the largest cab spaced dualie on the market IMHO ... growing kids should have leg room for some time to come.

Anyway ... some random pics. Next on the list is some BFG A/Ts as the Maxxis tyres on it are damned dangerous in anything but dry weather.

Cheers Dave ... :ciao:

20130131_193123-1_zpscbad19ca.jpg

20130131_193154_zps5ddcfaf2.jpg

Welcome aboard the knowledge express... I looked at three D40's secondhand before I bought mine and all had worn gear knobs and two had scratches and peeling around steering controls. I ended up buying the cleaner car with less k's but it was also stock, nothing except muds on it.

Thanks for the welcomes blokes.

This amazing thing I'm finding with the Nav is the fuel figures V's versatility. It uses lesss fuel than my old VT V6 Calais ... is bigger & 200% more versatile.

Makes the notion of owing 2 large cars much easier to swallow when you factor in fuel economy with these CRDi engines.

Can anyone confirm whether a later model steering wheel with stereo controls is a straight bolt up DIY for something like my 08 OUTLAW?

I figure if I'm going to swap the steering wheel to deal with the paint peal ... may as well add in stereo controls if an option.

Cheers.

Not sure if you can swap steering wheels but may have to consider changing factory stereos to suit the wheel controls... I have a 2010 ST with in dash 6 stacker and wheel controls on left side... Must be a way to do it because many hear have aftermarket stereos and still utilize wheel controls.

Small update ... been tidying bits and pieces.

• Installed EGR plate from Chip It ... glad I did as difference is noticable.
  • Replaced steering wheel with unit with all the paint still on it. Removing the airbag on a D40 is technically simple but in reality a pain in the arse. Especially when you have to do it twice due to taking your mind off the job.
  • Replaced leather gearknob with no shift pattern to clear finding raised during blue slip when I bought it back from Canberra.
  • Sorted out the scan gauge and mounted it properly. This was left over from our Jackaroo.
  • Installed ambient temp sensor.
  • Threw some BFG AT 265/65x17s at it to rid myself of the woeful maxxis ATs

Gave it some spit and polish to finally make it my own. Some exterior pics to come.

I'm a Holden man by choice but I absolutely love this truck. I initally wanted a Colorado but the D40 is just ... BETTER as an overall package.

Much thanks to the long term members of this forum ... the guidance gained from their experience has made modifying much easier.

Some pics:
P3280068_zps6b3c159e.jpg

P3280069_zps2e72881c.jpg

P3280070_zps5ec28489.jpg

Few small updates:

Brake controller fitted in conjunction with proper mounting of the scan gauge:
Came up better than I'd hoped.

20130603_120151_zps90534c89.jpg

Catch can (small ebay provent) installed utilising existing bolt holes. Tis a tight squeeze but it's accessible easily and more importantly serviceable:

20130603_125917_zps17d3b2bb.jpg

20130603_125932_zpsc911f9dd.jpg

Latest update ... just hit 109000km and cold start timing chain noise has started.

How luck it's out of warranty!!! :pissedoff:

Now I know we've a few Newcastle based members so ... hoping someone might be able point me in the direction of a mechanic versed in timing chain replacement on a D40.

The YD25.com.au kit appears to be the kit to buy ... in need of a good fitter in Newcastle area.

Any tips very welcomed.

Latest posts

Back