National Navara Muster?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good to me, happy to help.

Spring 2011? Okay, that's far enough ahead to plan around. October it's starting to warm up nicely but the car races are on, we'll have to make sure we don't clash with other events that might preclude some people from getting out of their armchair racing seats. The October long weekend doesn't clash, has that extra day in it and seems like a good place to pop a marker for the time being.

The gazetted holiday is Monday 3rd October 2011. This means we'd be getting there on the evening of Friday 30th September. Is that too early in the year? Too late? Looks like the AFL Grand Final might be held on that Saturday, my wife and I will have to go up to the location and see what the TV reception is like. I'm a bit confused, another forum mentions the NRL Grand Final on the Sunday before the Bathurst race, which would again clash with our long weekend plans.

It might be better to go the week AFTER Bathurst and everyone just takes a flex day or something to make up for it? Maybe a couple of days of annual leave? I don't know how workable that is for everyone.

Catering? I hadn't thought of that. It's a problematic thing, because we don't know how many people are going to show up. We once organised a get-together and my wife and I bought 20Kg of sausages and heaps of bread rolls and everyone showed up with their own food. We had sausage sangers for a bloody month! I'm a little hesitant to look at catering.

If it were announced as a BYO-everything camp-over then we wouldn't have to worry about that side of things. In my mind, the most I'd want anyone to have to pay for is the stickers that go on the back window or the "rally badge" like we used to get at motorcycle rallies. They'd be cool, not sure where I could organise those but that's a minor detail.

So, I'll take my wife up there for a weekend and get accurate GPS coordinates, lots of photos etc. Won't happen until next year at earliest - we're now seriously into getting ready for the Christmas trip.

Gee Tony I only sought an interest and you have run with it. Fantastic! I know there are other venues named (Mildura and Broken Hill) but to be fair to all Dubbo is probably as central as anywhere. The sandgropers will have a lengthy drive regardless.

I agree with your catering view - BYO. Although if we were certain of numbers we could (charge) and provide a camp oven feed one night. Other than that I'd be voting for a minimal cover charge to ensure maximum numbers.

Timing - The Oct long weekend is problematic and also the Deni Ute Muster so I'd want to rule that out. How about 17/18 Sept 2011 its not a long weekend but it is early Spring and no footy grand finals, no Bathurst and Ute Muster? The Rugby World Cup in NZ is on so a TV would be needed.

If we went with these dates, the Dubbo 4WD and Camping Show is at the Orana showgrounds (16-18 Sept). This could be viewed both positively or negatively.

I had another thought about the event too. I think we should have some avenue of selling Navara forum stickers/stubby holders on Dylan's behalf (unless he shows up!), and we should also either have some vehicle manuals on hand, or the capacity to make copies while we're there. I'll handle the latter, no problem there, for both D22 and D40 models.

I was thinking stickers to - perhaps ones printed just for the event.

I could be tempted to join in ... (with or without MRS .... LOL)

i like the idea of Dubbo - a nice day drive from melbourne.

I like the idea of Birdsville better, make a nice trips to get there.

BYO catering is the best way of catering ... (mostly because i love my spit roast dinners - a bit of an upgrade from camp pot roasts)

Gee Tony I only sought an interest and you have run with it. Fantastic! I know there are other venues named (Mildura and Broken Hill) but to be fair to all Dubbo is probably as central as anywhere. The sandgropers will have a lengthy drive regardless.

I agree with your catering view - BYO. Although if we were certain of numbers we could (charge) and provide a camp oven feed one night. Other than that I'd be voting for a minimal cover charge to ensure maximum numbers.

Timing - The Oct long weekend is problematic and also the Deni Ute Muster so I'd want to rule that out. How about 17/18 Sept 2011 its not a long weekend but it is early Spring and no footy grand finals, no Bathurst and Ute Muster? The Rugby World Cup in NZ is on so a TV would be needed.

If we went with these dates, the Dubbo 4WD and Camping Show is at the Orana showgrounds (16-18 Sept). This could be viewed both positively or negatively.

I was thinking stickers to - perhaps ones printed just for the event.

Gus, if nobody started then we'd never get there. If it's well-planned and thought out, it ought to turn out to be a good event.

Broken Hill would be closer for SA and western Vic residents - it's only 260km from Mildura, non-stop 100km/h highway. Not sure what's available in Broken Hill. I'll check it out.

Dubbo should not be much different though for Vic residents, head through to Shepparton and up the Newell Highway through West Wyalong, Parkes and into Dubbo.

QLDers could come down the New England to Tamworth then head west through Gunnedah along the Oxley Highway. Alternatively, they could come down from Goondiwindi through Moree & Narrabri on the Newell Highway, through Coonabarabran & Gilgandra into Dubbo. If its at Broken Hill, they could come down through Dubbo and continue west through Nyngan, Cobar & Wilcannia.

WA and Western SA residents should probably head to Peterborough then turn left onto the Barrier Highway, Adelaideans through to Burra and north on the Barrier Highway. That passes through Broken Hill, Dubbo is about 650km further east.

I think the destination will probably come down to numbers. Let's face it, not everyone is going to get there. We just want to get the largest number of people there, and the way to do that is place it within striking distance for the largest number of people.

For that, I'd like to see people's opinions on location. Mildura might be a great place to go, and could be on the cards. Let's see what people say. If people are interested in going, please speak up - where would YOU like to go, and given the locations mentioned so far, WOULD YOU travel to places like Mildura, Broken Hill or Dubbo for this event?

Timing: September is also not bad weather-wise. If the camping show is on that weekend in Dubbo that might draw a few escapes and give people an extra reason to go. There's also the Dubbo Zoo - takes a day to get around, but it's worth seeing - especially the monkeys at feeding time.

Stickers for each year - yeah, can be done, badges might also be valuable and harder to damage over the years too, so perhaps both?

Last edited:
Great work Tony............clearly you love this stuff!

Mildura or Broken Hill - I would attend. Preference is Dubbo for the reasons you stated - camping show and the zoo.

I don't mind helping out!

The reserve that I have in mind for this gig is about 10km out of Dubbo, which means it's just a few minutes' drive from town in case anyone needs stuff or wants to get to the show or the zoo.

There's another reason why Dubbo should be considered. There's a major route north-south through NSW that passes through Dubbo, and the east-west highway to South Australia passes through there as well (Golden Highway <-> Barrier Highway). Sydneyites can go up the Blue Mountains heading for Bathurst, Orange, Parkes then Dubbo.

It's an easy spot. I'll start working out mileage to major centres so that people can get an idea of how long it'll take them to get there.

TONY, I'll volunteer to check out the VIC high country over Xmas, just in case that becomes a viable proposition ... lol

Im in for this trip if it goes ahead, ill travel anywhere in australia i dont really care i already do it for work so a weekend trip will be a bit of fun. ill keep an eye on this post.

Shit Tony, I knew you were organised but you really just put me to shame.

Anyone else want a Donut pad for Scott to test out ?

Dave.

Not trying to put anyone's nose out of joint, I just have ready access to a bunch of tools specifically suited to finding a path to a place, it's how we organise our trips. Already have 2011's Tasmania trip being brewed - may as well use some of the tools for this.

Here are some distances for folk from different locations to the site near Dubbo:

From Rockhampton, QLD
* Via Leichhardt Highway and Newell Highway 1,151km, 13 hours 47 mins
* Via Castlereagh Highway 1,229km, 15 hours

From Brisbane, Queensland
* Via Newell Highway, 843km approx 10 hours 9 minutes
* Via Cunningham Highway and Newell Highway, 849km, 10 hours 15 mins
* Via New England Highway 907km, 11 hours 13 minutes.

From Sydney, NSW
* Via Great Western Highway and Mid Western Hwy 404km, 5 hours 39 mins

From Newcastle, NSW
* Via Golden Highway 412km, 5 hours 40 mins

From Canberra, ACT
* Via Barton Highway and Obley Rd 406km, 5 hours 27mins

From Bairnsdale, VIC
* Via Newell Highway 842km, 11 hours
* Via Monaro Highway 871km, 11 hours 3 mins
* Via Princes Highway and Monaro Highway 900km, 11 hours 24 mins

From Fitzroy, VIC
* Via Hume Freeway 852km, 10 hours 21 mins
* Via Route 39 828km, 10 hours 20 mins

From Ballarat, VIC
* Via Hume Freeway 955km, 11 hours 18 mins

From Mildura, VIC
* Via Sturt Highway and Mid Western Highway 813km, 9 hours 22 mins

From Adelaide, SA
* Via Barrier Highway 1,270km, 13 hours 56 mins
* Via Sturt Highway 1,204km, 14 hours 13 mins

From Perth, WA
* Via Eyre Highway 3,563km 38 hours

From Broome, WA
* Via Stuart Highway 4,101km, 54 hours
* Via Great Northern Highway 4,831km, 55 hours

From Darwin, NT
* Via Stuart Highway and Barkly Highway 3,633km, 42 hours
* Via Stuart Highway and Barrier Highway 3,890km, 45 hours

From Alice Springs, NT
* Via Stuart Highway and Barrier Highway 2,399km, 26 hours

Dubbo is roughly central between Adelaide & Rockhampton (give or take a few km). I get the feeling that most of the forum members actually reside in the arc from Adelaide across Victoria and up the coast through Sydney and Brisbane up to Cairns. Catering for those, Dubbo is pretty much central to the larger population especially given the routes available to get there.

I can put together mileages from major centres to other destinations so we can compare numbers and see how people feel.

Excellent work Tony.

Dubbo is the most central but Mildura or Broken Hill is closer for me!

Several ways to skin the cat, but to get to Dubbo I'd be going Pinnaroo, Ouyen, Tooleybuc, Hay, Wst Wyalong, Forbes, Parkes. Mainly coz I live on the Sth Eastern side of Adelaide.

Just found this thread. I would definately go, and Dubbo sounds great.

Personally with the Zoo close, it would be easier for me to run it by the misses and kids.

Well done guys i hope it moves ahead.

Another idea might be a tag along trek on one of the days. Or a tech breif on the Nav by one of the guys, when everyone returns to port in the arvo.

Chris

Guys this is an excellent idea, and as it seems it’s almost planned I thought I’d better pipe up to have my thoughts heard.

Obviously getting us all together in one place is utopia, and for me the closer the better. So I think at this stage (to be selfish) Mildura is my limit. What about we split it into 2 locations for the first one to “test the waters” but still have them on the same date. Numbers for the first event may not be worth some people travelling for 13+hrs to get there. Kind of like a north & south contingent. That would make it closer for the majority as we can group Vic & SA and NSW & Qld or a variation there of. The individual can then choose how far they are willing to go.

Mildura can still be a good spot for the south & Byron Bay/Harvey Bay etc for the north. Tony, you may like to run a few spots through your trip planning tools.

Also what about sponsorship? (Cooper/Mickey Thompson, ARB, Big4, GME, Lightforce, autobarn, BCF / Rays outdoors, Oztent, Waeco / Engel, etc) Food / drink vans, family activities etc? I understand Tony Whateley from Loveday 4x4 can arrange 4x4 obstacles and exhibitions to be setup. Recovery tips & demonstrations. Product information & displays

I’m thinking of prises too. Like;
 Longest distance travelled to get to the muster
 Highest lift
 Gymkhana
 Peoples choice
 SAS & comp trucks
 Most Kms travelled – Total ODO
 Any more ideas???????

Anyway, see what you make of this, it’s all just off the top of my head; might need some workshopping.

Mildura as a destination:

From Rockhampton, QLD
* Via Leichhardt Hwy and Newell Hwy 1,980km, 23 hours 19 mins
* Via Barrier Hwy 2,091km, 24 hours

From Brisbane, QLD
* Via Newell Hwy 1,655km, 19 hours 24 mins
* Via Barrier Hwy 1,804km, 20 hours 16 mins

From Newcastle, NSW
* Via Hume Hwy and Sturt Hwy 1,173km, 13 hours 7 mins
* Via Mid Western Hwy and Sturt Hwy 1,145km, 13 hours 43 mins
* Via Golden Hwy and Sturt Hwy 1,197km, 14 hours 34 mins

From Sydney, NSW
* Via Hume Hwy and Sturt Hwy 1,036km, 11 hours 32 mins
* Via Sturt Hwy 1,062km, 12 hours 16 mins
* Via Mid Western Hwy and Sturt Hwy 1,021km, 12 hours 13 mins

From Canberra, ACT
* Via Sturt Hwy 810km, 9 hours 10 mins

From Bairnsdale, VIC
* Via Calder Hwy 837km, 9 hours 43 mins
* Via Sunraysia Hwy 850km, 10 hours 18 mins
* Via Murray Valley Hwy 887km, 10 hours 52 mins

From Fitzroy, VIC
* Via Calder Hwy 554km, 6 hours 25 mins
* Via Sunraysia Hwy 573km, 7 hours 7 mins
* Via Murray Valley Hwy 577km, 7 hours 14 mins

From Ballarat, VIC
* Via Sunraysia Hwy 458km, 5 hours 43 mins
* Via Sunraysia Hwy and Calder Hwy (no tolls) 471km 5 hours 44 mins
* Via Western Hwy 489km, 6 hours 8 mins

From Mildura, VIC
* Via the bottle-O ... your shout.

From Adelaide, SA
* Via Sturt Hwy and A20 (toll) 379km, 4 hours 42 mins
* Via Sturt Hwy 404km, 4 hours 49 mins

From Perth, WA
* Via Eyre Hwy 2,915km, 32 hours

From Broome, WA
* Via Tanami Rd and Stuart Hwy 3,461km, 48 hours

From Darwin, NT
* Via Stuart Hwy 3,252km, 38 hours

From Alice Springs, NT
* Via Stuart Hwy 1,758km, 19 hrs 51 mins

I like the idea of the comps. Anyone got a property to do this on? There's no way we'll do a gymkhana on the reserve near Dubbo. It's a council-operated public reserve.

:idea:Right, i'm going to make the call......

this muster will be the first gathering of.......

AUSNOG!

:thank_you2:

will;66039I thought I’d better pipe up to have my thoughts heard..[/QUOTE said:
Excellent suggestions Will. Perhaps we could brain storm a little more on 12 December?

I like the idea of the comps. Anyone got a property to do this on? There's no way we'll do a gymkhana on the reserve near Dubbo. It's a council-operated public reserve.

If we choose Dubbo then I'd recommend we contact the Dubbo 4WD Club as they'll know where to go 4WDing.

Latest posts

Back