National Navara Muster?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez Tony........you are a machine.

Dubbo or Mildura ? Not much difference for me. I still think it needs to be central for those who are interested.........however as they said in Field Of Dreams...."Build it and they will come".

For me - these events aren't about hitting the tracks and doing some 4x4 work - we can do that anytime. It's about chewing the fat over mods, what works, what doesn't, checking out the rigs, getting inspired, and meeting people with a similar passion. Having said that, some comps would be fun to watch/play.

The event needs to start somewhere and I believe in the KISS philosiphy for the first one and then watch it grow. (And I ain't calling anyone stoopid).

This is already shaping up to be a great gig.

Cheers.

I don't give a shit where it is but give me a location so I can plan for it.ildura or Dubbo.How about we do it in Healesville in Victoria I hear it is a beautifull part of the country.:sarcastic:

Yer I don't know about Mildura I might get abducted by aliens...

Dubbo is cool...

Tamworth is better....

Oh bugger it have it at Ripley .........Haha

Why not PHILIP ISLAND - and watch scotty race around the track with the V8 (at least there is no bog holes to pull him out of, only gravel traps)

i was watching your 4x4 last night on foxtel and eldee station looks pretty cool. its near silverton / broken hill. just an option i thought sounded pretty good

Camping and 4WD Opportunities
Speaking of the devil, Onlock! I've done some searching and found some places that present reasonable opportunities for camping and 4WDing. There are conditions with some, like most National Parks (NPs) don't allow you to take dogs and may require a daily access fee.

I've broken them down to the three popular choices of location - Broken Hill, Mildura and Dubbo. All of the chosen sites are within abut an hour of each of these major centres.

If you know of a location that SHOULD be included in here, post it up and I'll include it in this post. Gus, if you could put a link to this post in your first post it might make it easier for people to find.

Broken Hill
* Camping available for a fee at a couple of outback stations. 4WDing is possible but there don't appear to be any open trails, they all appear to be within the stations.
* Stephens Creek Reservoir - free, but not clear on 4WD-specific fun
* Penrose Park, Silverton - The REAL car used by Mad Max sits out the front of the pub in Silverton. No idea on 4WD fun.

Mildura
Several national parks are nearby with 4WD tracks and camping grounds. Pet restrictions apply. Daily fees may apply.
* Murray Sunset NP - possibly too strenuous?
* Wyperfeld NP
* Mungo NP

Dubbo
Lots of opportunities here all within easy reach of the main town.
* Beni State Forest (National Park)
* Yarindury State Forest
* Moriguy State Forest
* Lake Burrendong - no direct 4WD facilities, camp only, must pay
* Terramungamine Camping Reserve - doesn't say much, the map is wrong too, the reserve is further up the road but it's free.

Other Info
There are restrictions on carrying produce into New South Wales and Victoria. Please read the charts to see what you can and can't take to the locations and be prepared to replace or purchase those items on arrival.

Deniliquin is down near (corrected) Vic, a long way from being "Central" and people still seem happy to go to it. We might not be pleased with the choice of the first gathering and may move it. We might get sponsorship, we might get a farmer allowing us to pitch tents and run a gymkhana on their land - we don't know.

My belief is that 4WD tracks might be of limited benefit to the muster. Many of us will be driving substantial km to get there, then we have to set up camp and we're really just going to want to put our feet up with a coldie or two and spin some yarns.

I am also hesitant to suggest things like 4WD tug-of-wars and the like, where tyres and/or vehicles may be damaged beyond the point of usability - when you're over a thousand kilometres from home, that's not good.

Best ride, coolest mods blah blah - these could all be done in a Coles Car Park if we wanted, so if we're all camped by the side of a dam and have that as a backdrop for the whole thing, I don't think many of us will shed a tear.

Last edited:
Tony - I reckon you are on the money with your thoughts.

Dubbo is still my preference. The lake might be a good base - modest fee for unpowered sights, and those who want power can have it. Good facilities and activities to keep people entertained - "Other activities include: 4W driving, bird watching, canoeing, skateboarding, tennis, volleyball, water skiing, walking/hiking trail, golf, fossicking."

Great work mate.

[
Deniliquin is down in Vic,

Up till then it sounded great, but unless they have moved the NSW/Vic border to the Edwards River, which is the northern most anabranch of the Murray River, Deni is definitely in NSW.

West of Albury, Berrigan & Finley, East of Barham and north of Moama & euchuca.

Did you mean Droin or someplace else?

Edit; perhaps a multiple choice poll might decide which sight will get the most.

Last edited:
Up till then it sounded great, but unless they have moved the NSW/Vic border to the Edwards River, which is the northern most anabranch of the Murray River, Deni is definitely in NSW.

West of Albury, Berrigan & Finley, East of Barham and north of Moama & euchuca.

Did you mean Droin or someplace else?

Mate, you are spot on and I apologise for that blunder. It's close, so I changed it to 'near'. I was looking in Google Earth and saw it - it's possible that I had the blighter spun around because I was following highways, so north isn't always up when I give the map a quick flick.

I intended no offense to Deniliquinnites or Victorians! Back to the show...

Have we got a date yet?
Dubbo is 11 hrs from Melb so it is do-able in a day.
I'll be in but need to give notice for a few days off.

I'm all for it but we have planned a trip to WA for a few months from July and were hoping to be over there for the wild flowers. We would be coming back that way probably in October sometime. So depending on the date, count us as possibles. My preference would be for self catering at Dubbo. We plan to drive home that way from Sydney in January using the Newell Hwy for a change from the Pacific Hwy

Picking the right date is important because we don't want to clash with too many other events and we want to make it more convenient for people. Picking a date smack in the middle of end-of-year exams or when the V8 Supercars hit Bathurst is not going to do the Muster any good.

I've checked the school term calendars for various states, as well as public holidays and note the following:

All states/territories have varying school term dates BUT the weekend of Saturday Oct 1, Sunday Oct 2 is free for everyone. The Monday following (Oct 3) is also free, and in NSW is a gazetted public holiday.

For that weekend, ACT has its Floriade listed, but no other events noted on the Australian Events page.

If we can beat the NRL/AFL/V8 Supercars events, that might be the weekend to do it, because it has the advantage of kids being off school and a public holiday (for some) thrown in as well.

Tony, I'm impressed with the amount of research that your putting into this MUSTER.

I spoke about this in passing to my wife last night and she suprised me by saying yes to it ... well i'll be ...

So, count the WOODY's (D + M + 1k) as wanting to be included in the MUSTER. Whenever, or Whereever it might be. I'd be very happy for the muster to be in and around Dubbo - i keep driving through Dubbo most years, but never get the chance to stop and have a look around. I usually stay at a motel on the south side overnight whilst travelling to/from Brisbane for annual holidays.

I'd like to offer to help out with any of the planning or co-ordinating from a victorian 'team' if needed ... I'm sure we will be wanting to talk about the muster when we have the VNOG gathering at Kurth Kirln next weekend (over a few or more beers around a camp fire)

Mate, you are spot on and I apologise for that blunder. It's close, so I changed it to 'near'. I was looking in Google Earth and saw it - it's possible that I had the blighter spun around because I was following highways, so north isn't always up when I give the map a quick flick.

No apology needed. It can happen to anyone. I was having enough trouble yesterday with the dead tree version and a driver who didn't understand the concept of "when geographically embarrassed, FFS STOP". 8 year old directory in back of Penrith didn't help either.

I know google earth has plenty of mistakes.

On Topic; our attendance depends entirely on current health and on CFO's work(if any then) which doesn't happen during school holidays + a week either side.

On commermorative stuff, something we have seen in the past for other clubs is that an event/activity had a silk screen made for it, then everyone brought along their bonds t-shirt and silk screened them. Just required an iron afterwards to set it.

Latest posts

Back