National Navara Muster?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ian, i think that is reffering to 'normal' bookings. I think some special consideration might be given to the Muster being a 'family' type event, and hopefully not a bunch of yobbo's ...

Also ADOS will probably get some free advertising. I understand the BossHog is working to drum up some interest with NISSAN and other 4x4 suppliers to help sponsor the event - but will let the Boss man reveal those things when/as appropriate.

I think there will be some very exciting things happening with this National Muster. All i will say for the moment is: WATCH THIS SPACE !!!

Yeah what do you want me to say to him ?

Umm I messaged him and get him to get in contact with you.

Committee Formalised

Hi all

Gee I wish I'd kept my NNM idea to myself, oh well, here is the first formal update for you...

After a delay of 48 hours (As Tony successfully trumped Woody's car breaking effort from the weekend), the NNM11 Committee held its first meeting last night.

The Committee is made up of reps from SA, VIC, NSW, QLD which gives a good geographically representation. We also formally ratified positions:

Chair - Gus (a.k.a Bosshog) - SA
Deputy - Tony (a.k.a. Old.Tony) - NSW
Treasurer - David (a.k.a. WoodyD40) - VIC
Secretary - Luke (a.k.a. ljacko78) - QLD

Quite a lot of thought and planning has gone into this event already. The key points thus far are:

• We have two quotes for public liability insurance
  • Lots of planning has gone into mitgating risks. We want this to be a trouble free event. Nevertheless, accidents do happen so we have planned for this
  • Tony is visiting the site over Easter and will return with photos and some info that we are all needing
  • We are opening a bank account so you will be able to pay for your tickets and we in turn can pay some bills
  • A website will be constructed
  • Numerous potential sponsors have been approached with a couple already confirming an in principle agreement to contribute.
  • No promises at this early stage but Nissan are attempting to get a demo ST-X 550 there but as you all know 550s are rarer than rocking horse shit
  • Planning around staging 4WDing is underway including trip leaders etc
  • We plan to offer discounted Level 1 4WD driver accreditation over the weekend as you will need this to drive the tracks
  • The weekend will be very much family focussed so bouncing off the rocks and ruts is only one part of the programme. We will have family and kid friendly events for those who do not want to go 4WDing. E.g. a day trip to the Western Plains Zoo is planned for those who wish to go (I can recommend it!)
  • Ideas around evening entertainment are also being considered as is a possible catered meal.
  • The event will be BYO everything including your own power, food, drinks, camping requirements etc etc. There are showers and toilets on site. The camping area is large so camper trailers, caravans etc are welcome.
  • Tickets will be priced according to what activities you wish to do and whether you camp.
Next major update after Easter, in the meantime if you intend on coming can you please let us know in this post as this is very much a numbers game - more that come the cheaper the ticket price becomes.

Regards

Your Friendly NNM11 Committee

Last edited:
Over Easter I visited the site where the 2011 Muster will be held and have some pics for you to enjoy.

The site is open and flat, which is great for camping, here's a pic of the camping area itself:

attachment.php

It extends some way behind where the photo was taken as well as to the left and right (pic is taken facing west). The building is a working woolshed where we can go if it rains.

There are two primary 4WD tracks, we didn't go on the Grade 4 track which takes about 4 hours to do, but the Grade 3 track which takes about 2 hours was exciting enough. It starts with a climb from a grazing paddock where livestock roam:

attachment.php

and has some interestingly challenging climbs (see also the next post):

attachment.php

Needless to say, being at the southern end of the Warrumbungles the scenery is breathtaking:

attachment.php

The track has some challenges, including ninja livestock - we have to take care around the animals as they are the owner's livelihood. I can't put the last image attached into the body of the message, but take a good look: there's a full-sized adult cow standing in the grass.

continued next post ...

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Now for some shots of one of the difficult climbs/descents. We started down this hill and could feel the vehicle trying to slip and slide - it's highly recommended to take things slow and steady. This ain't no highway!

attachment.php

The track is very steep and the rocks are loose. Take a look at the trees on the left: this shot was taken with the camera pointing down about 30 degrees, it is that steep here:

attachment.php

and if that wasn't enough, it got steeper just a few metres further on, look at the angle on the cruiser:

attachment.php

It's going to be a lot of fun! There is so much scenery, the Warrumbungles are a wonderful backdrop to this and the elevation of the track gives a superb view of the surrounding countryside.

About 44 kilometres away from the site - through roads with more fantastic scenery - is this wonder:

attachment.php

Tours are conducted from 9am to 4pm most days, I'll come back with the prices. There's a cafe attached that reportedly sells great coffee. This is one of the largest optical telescopes in the southern hemisphere, so while you're in the area you might want to spend a few hours visiting it.

There are more things to go and see towards Coonabarabran but the circular drive back towards Tooraweenah and the campsite will take quite a while - if you just want to see the 'scope, come back to the campsite along the same path. The best route is this way: click here.

There is also a smooth graded road for riding bikes on or walking, that leads from the campsite up to the National Park boundary. The road is about 6km long and has the Warrumbungles as a backdrop the entire way. At the end, you can enter the National Park and ride or walk through. There was nothing indicating a charge for access to the area.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Thanks Tony

I can't view the photos but it may be just me.

OK, the committee met again last night and we can report that:

• We now have a bank account so that ticket purchases can be paid for and we in turn can pay creditors
  • We will have finalised ticket pricing within a week. There will be an early bird discount to encourage payment and secure some numbers
  • We have decided to keep the event as cheap as we possibly can as many (including myself) are driving seriously long distances to get there and diesel is not cheap as we know.
  • Ticket pricing will be based around what you want to do (i.e. just camp, or undertake some 4WDing, or even 4WD training)
  • For those intending to arrive on Friday 30 September you are most welcome AFTER midday. The gates will be closed until then.
  • Some sponsors have been confirmed, including Nissan, Niss 4X4 Autospares ARB and Chip It. We thank them a great deal for their support.
  • Dylan has also kindly offer Navara.Asia stubby holders and stickers
  • Several other sponsors are also keen but are waiting on some more info from us, which is in hand
  • The logo is being finalised this and we'll have a website up and running shortly we hope
  • It will be a family weekend and kids most welcomed, in fact encouraged to come along. There is a good bike riding track around the property and into the National Park. Bushwalking through the National Park is also on offer
  • Kids, bring your kite, bikes, remote controlled off road racers etc etc and there is heaps of land to paly with these
  • Siding Springs is around 40ks away for those keen to see the telescope
  • You need to be completely 100% self-provisioned. Thats means tent, caravan, camper trailer, seating, food, water, bush shower (if you have one) in fact everything. There are two flushing septic tank toilets at the site. We will also be hiring two porta-loos but if you have you own please bring it.
  • There is heaps of firewood on site so you don't to worry about that. We'll have a certified chainsaw operator present to cut the firewood up.
  • There is a telstra 3G tower over looking the camp site so mobile access is excellent. We also understand that Optus is fine too.
  • There are two 4WD tracks to drive on the property (refer Old.Tony's pics).
  • The easier track takes approximately 2 hours to complete including plenty of time to stop for photos and have a chat.
  • The more difficult track is longer and much harder and will take at least 4 hours to complete the circuit.
  • Having seen some of Old.Tony's photos we'd be recommending bash plates for your Nav to protect it from the rocks.
  • Finally, we have also arranged some 4WD training. You need the level 1 certificate in order to drive the tracks. Pricing will depend on numbers and we are working on this. A theory exam will need to be completed before the weekend and handed in when you arrive. The practical will take place on the weekend.

Last edited:
Finally, we have also arranged some 4WD training. You need the level 1 certificate in order to drive the tracks. Pricing will depend on numbers and we are working on this. A theory exam will need to be completed before the weekend and handed in when you arrive. The practical will take place on the weekend.

Is that a condition of the park in general?

Great work on the organising by the way.

yes - the certification is a general condition by the owners of the Park

Wow, thats the first time I have heard of that. So everyone has to do a beginners course regardless of how long they have been 4wding? How much and how long is the course?

Thanks for all the planning and development lads - sounds like it will be a great gathering.

Re the certificate - are we talking about a course such as the Proficiency Course run by Four Wheel Drive Victoria?

Or can it be a beginners course run by any 4WD club?

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of hard work has gone into preparing this event. Will look forward to attending.

Regarding 4WD certification - you just need to prove that you hold some sort of ticket saying you have undertaken the basics around 4WDing; be that 4WD Victoria, or a course done by a RTO - you just need something. If you don't have it then this a great opportunity to cement what you most likely already know and get a piece of paper for it.

Back