Navar paint flaking off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sludge_au

Reaction score
I own a white 2005 D22 dual cab with the original paint job. A year ago the paint started flaking off when I hosed it down using the garden hose. Large areas are now showing only the grey undercoat/primer. I took it our local dealer and they expressed surprise and said they had never heard of such a thing and perhaps the car had been resprayed - I called bullshit on that one as I have had the vehicle since early 2006 and prior to that it was a corrective services vehicle. They referred me to the local bodyshop that deals with all their paint issues.
The guy was very helpful, took one look at it and identified the issue straight away. Apparently it is NOT uncommon and it affects not only Nissans. The issue is that the primer undercoat is to high a gloss (slick) and the top coat never bonded with the grey undercoat/primer. After a period of time the topcoat delaminates from the undercoat. His opinion was that the vehicles should have been recalled as this is a fundamental manufacturing error - In his opinion the paint will completely flake off and the only resolution is strip back the car to bare metal and respray. So basically I have a car with no resale value

I had the same issue on an MK Patrol (84 model) started with the rear quarters and then the roof.
It happened usually when there is a lot of rain with high humidity, then it starts to blister and eventually peel away in sheets.

Only solution is to re paint.

Yep, exact same issue, 02 dx navara in white.
Got it resprayed recently. I'm no painter but the primer did look fairly shiny where the paint flaked off

my mates got a nav same year range as mine, 99ish,
his flaked of the bonnet with the high pressure cleaner, quite large chunks.
recently mine did similar but only a small amount.
its pretty crap, now i cant wash the car without being paranoid about losing paint.

when my mrz recently got her new car, the dealer tried to up-sell the paint protection etc etc - one of her sales lines was that paint these days does not contain the same harsh chemicals it did years ago and as such it more sesptable to fading - whitch i think is BS

in your case a 14 yr old car should not be flaking! i can undersand mines near on 20yr old and has been exposed to many elements

The blue BA falcons suffered the same thing, I know a few people who own 2005 models and took it to their local dealer and the dealers took it and had them re sprayed.

Yeah car build year was Nov 2005 - Makes it 8 years & 2 months old - I posted this thread on the NISSAN Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/nissanaustralia and was contacted by a customer service rep. As expected this is the end result

'Thanks for getting back to me. A team member contacted me this morning. As the car is around eight years old NISSAN do not acknowledge that this is a manufacturing defect. Their only advice is to go to the local NISSAN dealer and get a quote for repairs at my own expense. I have been to the local NISSAN dealer - The local NISSAN dealer referred me to the paint & panel shop that they use - The local paint and panel shop has already advised me that the only thing that can be done is to strip the vehicle and blast it back to bare metal and reapply the paint from scratch as the original primer/undercoat applied at build was applied incorrectly - EXPENSIVE. Any paint applied to cover the existing problem will only fall off as well due to the substrate being the issue. The resale value of the car in good condition, with the paint work attached, is only around $16,000 (depreciated from $38,000 in 8 years). Therefore I get to drive around in this weird grey and white vehicle that has white paint flaking off it that has no appreciable resale value. A couple of people have asked what the issue is and when I explain that it has to do with the grey undercoat used for the white vehicles and when advised that it can't be touched up, the general consensus is to steer clear of white trucks. What could have been done to avoid this predicament - The manufacturer could have applied the paint properly in the first place. But, as the end user absolutely nothing as the paint job looked perfect when I bought it. My advice - STEER CLEAR OF WHITE!'

Latest posts

Back