Navara d22 motor swap.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King navara

Reaction score
hey everyone umm I'm new on hear and just got a few questions about my ZD30 D22 navara.

It's a 2003 model and the motor has blown up well wat I was thinking was would I be able to swap the motor to a 4.2 Desiel GQ motor with gearbox and transfer.

It doesn't bother me if it's alot of work and cost a shit load already no this so plz don't bring it up just wanna no wat is involved in swapping the motors and if they will fitt and yes already have plans to change the front and rear diffs to GQ diffs because the diff centers are on different sides.

Thanks.

Joshy plans on doing that to his. The TD42 swap.

What is exactly wrong with the ZD30 ?

The rear half of a RD28 gearbox can be bolted on to the ZD30 Navara gearbox which will give you the front tailshaft on the correct side.

Oh and welcome. Personally if I wanted to go back to a older style motor.

It wouldn't be a TD42. It would be the QD32ETI.

what about just body swapping? the nav body onto a gq chassis? saves ripping everything apart. im pretty sure someone has done that on here once before. i think it mite have been mud4b? i mite be wrong :S

I wouldn't have a clue wats wrong with it. It's just got no power and the turbo is fucked. And it's got like 260.000km on the clock and it's been flogged out..

And I wanna put GQ front and rear diffs under it but have been told the centers are on diff sides to wat the transfer case is. And I'd do a body swap but I couldn't be fucked doing the body mounts and having to get it engeried so yer.

probably better just to buy a patrol.

for motor swaps any big straight 6 cyl is going to be a pain to fit. a v8 would be easier, plenty of choices with petrol motors.
why not a YD25 common rail but fitted with bigger turbo etc. someone is chasing 300+hp in their D40 at the moment.

Would buy a patrol but already got the ute and won't get much for it with the motor blown and at least 1 dint in every panel haha.

And I dunno and don't care just thought would be easier to swap the motors over I like the GQ TD42 motor. And I wanna get rid of the IRS front diff and the leaf springs in the rear.

the trouble i see is the TD42 is so long that its going to stick forward a heap. add that to the extra weight and that the navara chassis is a lot lighter built than the patrol, i think you will end up with cracks in the chassis.
you really need the patrol chassis. if your doing diff swaps, SFA etc, your going to buy a donor patrol. so just get a rolled one and put the navara body onto it.

the catch is to many mods to the navara and you end up with a patrol at 3x the price.

if you really want to keep it navara only then i would restrict the mods. smaller motor, lighter running gear etc.

Yer well wats the deal with wat old mate said befor about the gearbox or something coz if I can keep the the ZD30 I will just rebuild it and make it go better and yer just wanna convert it to coil not the stupid IRS and leaf springs.

And if I stuck it on a patrol chassi I'd still have the same problem with the motor being to long for the engine bay and I'd also have to move body mounts.

well iv seen the ls1 in scottys d22 and there aint too much room left so going a td42 might not be the best idea. id just go the sas in the front and custom 4 link rear with coilovers, rebuild your zd30 so its nice n fresh and make it run as cool as posible (egr block, 3" exhaust etc.)

Search for Mud4b's thread on his build up.

There is details on there about the gearbox.

Yes, you can make it fit. You will have to run the radiator in front of the radiator support, or in the tray. Trim the radiator support, and run thermofans. Custom engine and trans mounts. You will need to run a body lift to fit the Patrol's gearbox in the tunnel. And as mentioned, all the links to put coils on the Navara chassis, which will be 100% custom since the Patrol chassis geometry is different.

By the time you put all the Patrol running gear on a Navara chassis, for less money you could dual cab chop a Patrol, or as mentioned before, put the Navara body on the Patrol chassis.

No matter what you do, you will require engineering. The path of least resistance will be Navara cab onto Patrol chassis, since the TD42 from the GQ cannot be engineered in a D22, due to emissions.

Must be school holidays again.

Last edited:
well iv seen the ls1 in scottys d22 and there aint too much room left so going a td42 might not be the best idea. id just go the sas in the front and custom 4 link rear with coilovers, rebuild your zd30 so its nice n fresh and make it run as cool as posible (egr block, 3" exhaust etc.)

I have a 6.2 litre chev deisel here that should fit.

sorry can anyone help what are the Brake codes / numbers for a Nissan Navara Frointer ZD30 06 front and Back I live in ireland nobody has a 3Ltr jeep and by Jesus is she good truck

Thanks

Latest posts

Back